Rod & Reel in Arlington, VA Closing Up Shop

Started by redfish12, February 01, 2016, 02:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfish12

There is a local rod repair shop in Arlington VA run by Phil Evans and sad to say he is closing down. I've been in the area for about 10 years and from what I can gather he's been at this for probably 40 years or more! His shop is loaded with new old stock (NOS) Penn parts, Shimano, Abu, etc. as well as antique fishing gear like rods and skin mounts.

If anyone is interested in starting their own reel repair business or wants to talk to Phil about buying his old stock of parts should give Phil a call at - (703) 528-3022. He's a great guy and has fixed many of my rods and reels over the years and always has the part I'm looking for when it comes to Penn reels. He's old school and doesn't have a website but he does have some yelp reviews that he probably doesn't even know about!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rod-and-reel-repair-arlington

Marlinmate

I'll give him a shout to see what he has. I'm very close to him..about 10 minutes away.  I've stopped in there from time to time and chatted with him.  Nice old fella!

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Marlinmate

Going to meet with him tomorrow....will see what he has to offer and/or say.    He didn't sound too convinced he was selling?

redfish12

Well shoot, I talked to my buddy Ernie and he said he was selling! I was just in there a couple of weeks ago picking up some jigmaster parts to complete my Cortez 501. He knows me as Mike the kayaker if that helps. Maybe Phil will let you take a couple of pictures of the shop for the site. There aren't many businesses like his left!

Marlinmate

I'll see what I can do.     Great story about his shop....I was in desperate need of a stand for a Penn 1/0. Couldn't find one anywhere(probably because they haven't been made in many many moons)....so I thought what the heck....I'll stop in and see. 

I said do you have part number xx-xxx?   He rummages through a parts bin and goes "is this what you are looking for?"   My jaw hit the floor.

How much?    Give me $5.00 and call it a day.

Done deal.