Old 10/0

Started by Shark Hunter, February 01, 2016, 12:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I picked up this Dinosaur last week.
The seller had it on a rod, I asked for just the reel.

It is like many I have seen before, but it cleaned up really nice.
I was surprised the stack was worn out.

A little elbow grease and chrome polish and this old girl is looking pretty good.

A new set of steel gears and a standard 7 stack with an ss sleeve.

Just a tad of Blue Loctite on the 5/0.

From old crusty, to Shark Ready. ;)
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Lookin good Mr. D. Another workhorse back in action! Fine job!
................Lou

Army_of_One

That's fantastic work!  Did you use a bronze gear sleeve?  I think you know this was my next project, where's the second dog walkthrough?  ;)
Another day in Paradise!

DaBigOno

Nice job Daron!   ;)

Al
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

foakes

Excellent work, Daron --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mattman NZ

Excellent work Daron - ones not enough aye .lol. ;D
Rgds

Matt...

Maxed Out

Daron, are you certain you have no relation to Otto Henze ?

No need to check ancestry dot com.......the proof is in the pudding  :D :D

What I want to know is how many reels it took to empty that jar of penn grease ? One of those jars would last me a lifetime  ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

coastal_dan

Looks great! 

Daron do you always add loctite to your aftermarket handle/knob threads?  I just got one of Alan's 5/0 handles and greased the screw for the handle, but the more I think about it I may degrease it and add some loctite....

Also: Off subject but loctite autocorrects to lactate...hilarious to me with the wife just having the baby and always seeing the little man eating  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

my experience, especially with the two part "ball type" knobs, is that they can vibrate in transit and back off. just a drop of locktite blue.

Shark Hunter

I used a stainless sleeve Robin. No double dog on this one.
I don't know how many reels it takes to empty a pound tub Ted, but that was my third one. ;D
Yes Dan, I lactate all my 5/0 grips. :D Probably overkill, but it gives me peace of mind.
Life is Good!

David Hall

Thanks for posting.  I just picked a
Up really crusty 10/0 off fleabay the other day, don't have it yet but I will be using your thread for reference.

Superhook

Nice rescue. Looks very good. 10 out of 10 .

cbar45

Daron,

Nice going on bringing this old 10/0 back into service.

That one-piece spool is a bonus.

Chad

day0ne

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 01, 2016, 06:15:38 PM
Looks great! 

Daron do you always add loctite to your aftermarket handle/knob threads?  I just got one of Alan's 5/0 handles and greased the screw for the handle, but the more I think about it I may degrease it and add some loctite....

:D

Unless the screw is a reverse thread (like Accurate), the act of turning the handle will loosen the screw. No vibration needed. Always use Loctite.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

thorhammer

Big D, that's a sweet resto/build out. But yours always are. I feel about the big boys like you do about rod building.... I'd go overboard in hurry if I go past my one 117. Squidders won't break the bank but 118's are a different story lol