Magda Pro Drags

Started by mriversinco, February 06, 2011, 12:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mriversinco

Hi,

I'd really like to offer to my fishing partner to redo his drags on his walleye reels that are the Okuma Magda Pro 15s and 20s.  I know they're cheap reels but I was hoping he'd be really impressed with how much better they are.

I was wondering if anyone knew what 3 carbon fiber drag washers go in there.  I see it's been hit a little in a post below but the actual information wasn't given.  Looking into okuma's site, I found the part numbers to be 2 OKUMA 16100038, and one OKUMA 16100045, but that doesn't help me for using ht-100's or any of the others.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Jimmer

The magdas come with either 3 plastic or 2 carbon fiber and 1 plastic. Google Tuna's reel troubles, they carry carbon fiber washers that are thin enough to work in the magdas. The okuma washers may be too thick if you use 3 carbon, leading to drag stack height problems.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bryan Young

I used HT-100 on my catelinas.  With the difference in carbon fiber to those plastic looking washer thicknesses, I needed to bend the ears on my eared metal washers towards the main gear so that the eared metal washer engaged with the main gear.  It's a way to cheat a little so that the eared metal washer does not have to sit flush in the main gear.Please let me know if you don't understand.  I'll try to locate some spare washer and take pics if needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

I get the impression here that one can mix the HT-100s with standard drag washers where drag stack height is an issue. Is this correct?
I tried some carbon washers in a Daiwa 300DX (basically identical to the Millionaire series 300), but the internal housing couldn't accommodate them without binding.
Any thoughts/insight on this?
Cheers,
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

I wouldn't mix carbon fiber with non-carbon fiber drags.  Your non-carbon drag will eventually stick and increase your drag pressure.  Dawn has thinner drag washers that will suit your needs  Just pick one closes to the size and thickness.  If too thick, you can always bend your eared washer towards the main gear.  Alan showed me this trick that was in some Shimano reels.  Works like a charm.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Thanks Bryan - much appreciated.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

mriversinco

Thanks for the help, and the bent ears is a great idea.  I've got to order some washer for my shimano's and was going to use pennparts.  Does anyone know what washers I'd order from them for the madga's so I don't have 2 different shipping costs?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!