Cleaning stock grease from new Penn drag plate/drag washer

Started by Wayne Feagley, February 03, 2016, 12:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Feagley

Hi All,
Thanks to Scott's Bait I have my new 30VSW drag plate and washer.  There are splotchy spots of grease on it.  What can I use to clean off Penn's stock grease so I can grease it with Cal's?  I thought about using CRC brake clean, but I don't want to risk having the drag material come unstuck from the plate as that would put me right back where I started.
Thanks in advance.
And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

Tightlines667

No worries.  Just hit it with some brake cleaner, allow to dry, and relube with Cal's.

Sometimes I use a clean stiff-bristled brush and a mild detergent first, dry, then a quick shot of brake cleaner.  Many of the local old timers have been using brake cleaner on drag washers for years with no problems.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Any new 117DN drag plates I buy from them are not greased. I'm assuming your cleaning a used one. I've used mineral spirits with a semi stiff brush then let dry.

I put them in front of my shop heater in this weather.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wayne Feagley

Thanks for the cleaning tips gents.

Good call, Handi.  It didn't occur to me to look at the backside of the plate, but sure enough you can see this plate is not brand new, there is clear circular marking  from where the dogs travel.  That's messed up to pay for a new part and be given a used one.  But I'm 3+ days from shoving off on a 15 day trip so I'm going to look on the bright side and get this reel back together to hopefully land a cow with my new used drag plate  :)
And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

handi2

Quote from: Wayne Feagley on February 03, 2016, 01:03:37 AM
Thanks for the cleaning tips gents.

Good call, Handi.  It didn't occur to me to look at the backside of the plate, but sure enough you can see this plate is not brand new, there is clear circular marking  from where the dogs travel.  That's messed up to pay for a new part and be given a used one.  But I'm 3+ days from shoving off on a 15 day trip so I'm going to look on the bright side and get this reel back together to hopefully land a cow with my new used drag plate  :)

I'm sure it was a mistake if you received a used one...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mizmo67

Penn greases the 117DN's nowadays, so some have it, some don't, depending on the part number.
Even the greased ones vary in how much they put on..like they can't decide on how much.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com