Mitchell reel interchangeability

Started by Kozmo77, February 03, 2016, 03:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kozmo77

Have a damaged 306- reel foot has breakage on ends. Have opportunity to get a 406 body w/o internals. A/R is in case, has sideplate. Will 306 internals and rotator work in this 406 case? ???  Need help!!

foakes

Should work, Kozmo --

Never tried it before -- but all a 406 is, is a 306 with faster gears.

Blue body, instead of the black like on the 306.

Good luck -- and show us a pic when you are done.

Good reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Kozmo77

Fred, thanks for a reply. I was concerned that a gear ratio change in the 406 would require more room or a modified shape. I don't take much for granted in this world and engineers love to revamp things. Noticed in the pics of said 406 that the anchor pin hole for the pinion bearing was moved to the cover side. if that is so, perhaps the spring on the face of the case would be moved or reshaped necessitating a different part. Working 406s are snatched up and usually pricey if in good condition. Got this reel from a good friend along with a number of suffering soldiers of the pisces wars in a box. Just hate to see good parts or complete reels left to self-destruct. Crazy urge to make them whole and functioning. Will let you know how it turns out. Do my best to supply photos.  Thanks for being a real anchor for this forum. All you guys and gals are great!! :D :D

foakes

No sweat, glad to help, Kozmo --

Should work fine -- if not, I will send you a new old stock 306 body for $20, shipped -- if you decide that is a better route to go.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Kozmo77

Super!! Would love this deal. I must mention an overriding problem- didn't say so before. The one internal I must replace is... the pinion/bearing!! Didn't mean to sandbag you, Fred... juast thought I would have to find that one on my own. However... if you have a usable 81590 in your extensive collection of parts, would be overjoyed to purchase said item as well. At this time you are away and might read this later,so going to wait for your input. Thanks again WC :D

foakes

No issues, Kozmo --

Have a new old stock pinion/bearing -- checked it in a 306 to make sure.

Just an extra $5 -- since you are buying the body also.

Since I will put it in the same package -- no extra shipping.

Please PM me your full name, and mailing address.

I will respond with my information -- however, the items will go out in Monday's mail.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Kozmo77

INCREDIBLE- but you are Fred the Magnificent. If I may, please include 81404 if you have it.Murphey's law is an old nemesis and I do have the original, it may disappear when I get your terrific parts. I do have it in a tightly confined space at the moment and intend to be very careful. All the best WC

foakes

--------

Fred O.