Reducing back-play in SL30SH

Started by boon, February 04, 2016, 07:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

I've got an SL30SHB as one of my general-purpose all-round reels. It's a nice reel, and upgraded with Carbontex it's both buttery smooth and has plenty of drag for the 40lb braid it's loaded with.

My only real gripe with it is the amount of back-play in the handle (and resultingly, the spool). This is due to the single dog arrangement with a very coarse ratchet gear - it only has something like 8 teeth off the top of my head.

Is there any way to reduce/eliminate the back-play? I don't think the sideplate will accommodate an ARB - although I know there is a high-end Daiwa reel, based on the SLoSH, that has an ARB. Maybe a finer dog-gear and file down the dog to suit? Does anyone know of a suitable gear that will fit the driveshaft?

Cor

I am not familiar with this reel, but know the SL0SH well.    At a guess I would say have a look at the SHV range of reels which has a finer toothed dog gear and who knows, it may fit or could be made to fit.

These two are from a SL0SH, Ill have a look at a SHV tomorrow.
Cornelis

Cor

I was working on a GRANDWAVE - x 40shv and checked to see if the AR rachet is interchangeable between this reel and the SL50SH and the answer is Yes, as can be seen from the photos.    The part from the SHV would give you double the amount of "clicks" per handle turn and solve your problem.

In the one photo I've fitted the SLOSH part to SHV.

The only question still is if the SL30SHB is the same as the -X30SHV, my guess is it will be, so find out and try it.   Please post the result if you do, then we also know.
Cornelis

SoCalAngler

I'm looking to go this ratchet change to a SL20SH to reduce handle play. Does any know of the part number of the ratchet with double the teeth that will fit into the SL20SH? In the post from Cor (thanks dude) I was not sure if the part with the double teeth was from a Grandwave or a SL-SHV?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Cor on July 10, 2016, 09:19:56 AM
I was working on a GRANDWAVE - x 40shv and checked to see if the AR rachet is interchangeable between this reel and the SL50SH and the answer is Yes, as can be seen from the photos.    The part from the SHV would give you double the amount of "clicks" per handle turn and solve your problem.

The only question still is if the SL30SHB is the same as the -X30SHV, my guess is it will be, so find out and try it.   Please post the result if you do, then we also know.

If you look at the part numbers for the SL30SH ratchet and the SL-X30SHA you will see their the same # E25-2903 so both use the same ratchet with a lot of back play.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/index.html

I have a call into Daiwa to see if they have another ratchet from say the BG models or anything else that will fit into the SL20-30SH's to give more teeth on the anti reverse ratchet,

SoCalAngler

Ok I took my BG20H apart and confirmed that the ratchet will not work in my SL20SH. So no love there as far as a mod to the SL20SH and 30 ratchet.

Thelma at Daiwa USA never returned with any info about a change or upgrade to the ratchet for the SL20-30SH's like she said she would. I have no idea what title or position she holds there but for me if I say I will return a call after speaking to you, even if the response is sorry I have not heard about anything that would be fine. But not even a call back or a short e-mail IMO shows a lack of customer service.

In the past 4-5 years I have had great customer service from Daiwa USA and maybe someone just dropped the ball, sure this can happen at any company from time to time. I will give her a call in a day or two to see if she remembers our chat.

If not Daiwa may be slipping back to their service issues they have had in the past...we will see.

Ron Jones

I have GOT to get that ratchet in my SLOSH 20!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

I would love to design and make ratchets with more teeth.  I guess I'm opening up my reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

I was very interested in a new ratched for my sealine but went to check my personal reels pic-database and found out its a SHV model, so, Im covered.

Bryan go for it, its going to be a nice upgrade for the slosh family
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on November 02, 2016, 06:09:55 PM
I was very interested in a new ratched for my sealine but went to check my personal reels pic-database and found out its a SHV model, so, Im covered.

Does the SH20V/SH30V fit on the gear shaft of the SL20SH/SL30SH?  If so, maybe we can just buy it from Daiwa
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 02, 2016, 07:24:02 PM
Quote from: steelfish on November 02, 2016, 06:09:55 PM

Does the SH20V/SH30V fit on the gear shaft of the SL20SH/SL30SH?  If so, maybe we can just buy it from Daiwa

I dont have a SLOSH reel to check that out mi amigo but on the 3rd post on this thread it was said that Sl30sh and Sl30hv were interchambeable
Quote from: Cor on July 10, 2016, 09:19:56 AM

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

They are in fact the same shaft. The older SHs have stainess shafts as opposed to the brass or bronze of the V. I have an older SH with the steel shaft and want the V ratchet for it when I put it in an aluminum frame.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

SL20-30SH ratchet, Key Number 50, Daiwa Part Number E25-2903
http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/saltwater/SL20_30SH.pdf

SLX20-30SHA ratchet, Key Number 60, Daiwa Part Number E25-2903
http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/saltwater/SL-X20SHA-30SHA.pdf

SLX20-30SHV ratchet, Key Number 60, Daiwa Part Number E25-2903
http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/saltwater/SL-X20SHV_30SHV.pdf

As far as I can tell all of the SL20-30's use the same ratchet. Maybe there was a change to their design on later models but their schematics don't show a change. Thats why I had a call into them to see if in fact there was a change.

Setnhooks

has anyone confirmed that the 40shv a/r ratchet will fit or work with the 20/30shv to reduce back play?