Jigmaster reel covers?

Started by steelhead_killer, February 05, 2016, 03:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Looking for some real world advice on reel covers.  I have built several reels that I would like to provide reasonable protection.  What is everyone using?

Thanks, Andy
><)))">

RowdyW

Try Scott's Bait & Tackle. They have covers in many sizes with Penn logo.    Rudy

day0ne

I use the Penn logo ones but I think these are a better cover:

http://stores.ebay.com/Jaws-Fishing-Tackle/Jaws-Reel-Covers-/_i.html?_fsub=14723767&_sid=102428262&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

With the Penn logo covers, the XXS fits the Jigmaster
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

SoCalAngler

I use nylon tops and neoprene sided ones form local shops I go into. Many times I get them free with other purchase's but I have a relationship with those shops and they know I leave my reel covers on my reels when the rods are in the racks. I get less boat rash and water intrusion with the covers left on. I grab a setup remove the reel cover and fish it, if I switch setups the reel cover goes back on the reel and I grab another setup remove the reel cover and fish that one.

The shops know I do this as sometimes as I fish with their employees and they like the advertisement, also it keeps my reels looking newer longer.

I really don't have problem with free things like this, well almost free because if they do throw down a freebie once in a while I do go back and buy more stuff from them.  

Here is the type of covers I get.

thorhammer

I use Penn, Charkbait, Boone and Shimano, depending. I think the main thing Is make SURE the cover doesn't get wet with saltwater and then you put it back on your cleaned reel for storage....

I'm looking a better widget for my Cortex reels too and am considering making my own, with a bit more neoprene ...if you find that better widget please post up! 

John

pjstevko

Are you guys just looking for storage covers for your dry and cleaned reels???

I store mine in Crown Royal bags....cheap on ebay

SoCalAngler

Quote from: pjstevko on March 31, 2016, 04:30:47 PM

Not just storage for me, like I said I leave the reel covers on my reels when they are on the boat. They will get wet and sometimes salt encrusted when on a trip mainly in nasty weather or on the windward side of the boat getting spray. Leaving the covers on for me stops a lot of the saltwater getting into my reels either from weather or from a deckhand's washdown hose.

It also stops most of the boat rash reels will get when the racks as most of the time it is the reels bouncing against one another when in the rack that causes most of the rash.

If my covers have been soaked by saltwater for whatever reason, when I wash down my reels after a trip I will also soak/wash the covers in a bucket of fresh water. I leave my reels to dry in a sunny or warm area as well as the covers and I will not ever leave a cover on my reels when it is wet or before my reels are fully dry outside and inside.

thorhammer

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 04, 2016, 04:44:16 AM

Not just storage for me, like I said I leave the reel covers on my reels when they are on the boat. They will get wet and sometimes salt encrusted when on a trip mainly in nasty weather or on the windward side of the boat getting spray. Leaving the covers on for me stops a lot of the saltwater getting into my reels either from weather or from a deckhand's washdown hose.

It also stops most of the boat rash reels will get when the racks as most of the time it is the reels bouncing against one another when in the rack that causes most of the rash.

If my covers have been soaked by saltwater for whatever reason, when I wash down my reels after a trip I will also soak/wash the covers in a bucket of fresh water. I leave my reels to dry in a sunny or warm area as well as the covers and I will not ever leave a cover on my reels when it is wet or before my reels are fully dry outside and inside.

All is exactly true...no boat rash with a fish on, just in transport.

pjstevko

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 04, 2016, 04:44:16 AM

I agree with you on all that.....I think the CR bags could be washed/rinsed too....

Rancanfish

You guys are all too high dollar.  I use my old winter socks on my boat.  Don't care if one blows away.  ;D

Yes, I hear some remarks occassionally.   ;D ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Marcq

I got those one ebay a couple years ago, I like them and they were cheap

Oh! And they stretch to fit more then one size

Marc..

Maxed Out

I've had lots of different covers, and the one for me is the Jaws brand. Very thick heavy material and very easy on or off. The strap also hold the handle from turning and also protects the handle and star. These are made for rough water and also intended to be on a rigged up rod.... Notice hook holder on top. No more scratched reels from hooks.

These are cortez jigmasters (501 & 500)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Marcq

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 06, 2016, 09:55:23 PM
I've had lots of different covers, and the one for me is the Jaws brand. Very thick heavy material and very easy on or off. The strap also hold the handle from turning and also protects the handle and star. These are made for rough water and also intended to be on a rigged up rod.... Notice hook holder on top. No more scratched reels from hooks.

Ted

They are nice and I like their product just a bit pricey if you have lots of reels

Marc..

Maxed Out

Quote from: Marcq on April 06, 2016, 10:13:58 PM

Ted

They are nice and I like their product just a bit pricey if you have lots of reels

Marc..

Marc, if it were a $20 long beach, then a $12 cover may be considered extravagant.......but is $12 really considered "pricey" after spending $300+ to build a custom Jigmaster ?? That is the question  :D :D

These Jaws reel covers are worth every penny and then some IMO.   ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

Ah yes I think that is the ticket!

Ted
><)))">