Penn 30TW & Tyrnos 50II

Started by Ukfishman, February 07, 2016, 12:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukfishman

A friend has upgraded some of his reels and offered me the above 2 reels both in great condition, the Tyrnos 50II as new. I don't really need another reel but when there is a good deal to be had...............the collection grows!

Which would you say is the better reel for a stand up 30/80 rod, mostly trolling for wahoo at 8knts. The bomb proof gold Penn or the luxury of 2 speed Tyrnos.

Thanks

Rothmar2

Just a word about the Tyrnos. An adequate reel for what you want to use it for, but pre-service it before you go ahead and put line on the spool and use it. I have had enough headaches from trying to remove frozen SS screws from the cast ally frames, of this series of reels fished straight out of the box for a few seasons without a service. Also get a thin coat of grease on the plastic plates and under the thin pressed ally exterior trim plates. That acts as a bit of a salt trap and eats into those trim plates from the inside out. There is a tutorial in the Shimano section. Make sure you check out the carbon fibre drag washer, there have been some well documented problems with these washers in this series of reels. See thread "Tyrnos problems" in the Shimano section.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1083.0

Properly prepped, they are a pretty good reel, but not one I would used without a thorough going over and prep before-hand.
Grease those screws!!!

Ukfishman

FatTuna

You should probably just buy them both ;D