Older 113 YT special frame and spool

Started by garyal, February 05, 2016, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyal

I am currently resurrecting all my good old retiree reels for a long range trip in July with a lot of newbies who will need a 30lb. and 50lb outfit.

The YTS 113 is over 25 years old. This was my go to 40 lb. setup in the 1980s. If only this reel could talk! So many tough fights won on this rig! Anyway, I am so spoiled these days by topless reels, I went ahead and ordered the topless narrow frame from Tiburon and the upgraded drag from Bryan here on this site. The frame came in yesterday and turns out I need the spool as well as the 25+ year old version did not match up with the new topless frame that eliminates the inside SS rings.

Since I also ordered the power handle from Tiburon, I am now laughing at myself because I will have spent ANOTHER $250 on this reel! Oh well, it is only money and I am VERY excited to fish this reel again after so many years.

The purpose of all this rambling is to ask a couple of questions:

1) does this OLD Tiburon frame with top bar and matching spool have any value to anyone on this site? If so, give me your address and I will mail it to you. Just trying to give a little payback for all the GREAT knowledge and advice I have gotten on this site in the few months I have been a member.

2) Where can I get a couple of lug blanks so I can eliminate the lugs on this reel?

3)  I also have a two 114 Tiburon reels, One is wide, one is narrow with gears. Both have older smoothie drag upgrades and BOTH have top bars on the Tiburon frames. In the 1980s we called the narrow one a Wahoo special and the wide one a trolling rig. Anyway are these something Bryan or Alan or anyone could use? I will never fish these again and I am not a collector as such. Yeah, with 30+ reels, someone could argue that last statement!

RowdyW

Keta

#2. Let me see if I can get them drawn up and cut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Hi Gary --

Is it possible to just flip the lugs upside down?

I do that on some reels, like US Senators -- but not sure on that frame and plates.

Thanks for sharing with the site.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Thanks for that clarification, Lee.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I get the harness lugs for the Baja Special, turn upside down, and cut a little off so it doesn't stick down into the reel too far.

They already have the curvature needed. You cant see it buy it works just right.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

I have a drawing done and will do the first cut ASAP.

Mark Twain

garyal

Great idea on just cutting the lugs down!

I will use a scribe to make them while still installed. Then I will remove them and take them to my machinery rebuild shop at my business and give them to my shop manager with instructions that they are a high priority government job! I will also have him polish them!

DaBigOno

Quote from: garyal on February 05, 2016, 02:44:55 PM
I am currently resurrecting all my good old retiree reels for a long range trip in July with a lot of newbies who will need a 30lb. and 50lb outfit.
3)  I also have a two 114 Tiburon reels, One is wide, one is narrow with gears. Both have older smoothie drag upgrades and BOTH have top bars on the Tiburon frames. In the 1980s we called the narrow one a Wahoo special and the wide one a trolling rig. Anyway are these something Bryan or Alan or anyone could use? I will never fish these again and I am not a collector as such. Yeah, with 30+ reels, someone could argue that last statement!

You might wanna fish that narrowed 6/0  (50-60 lb) on your upcoming trip, especially in July
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

garyal

DBO:

The Wahoo Special was always fishing on 50 or 60. It caught a lot of Wahoo in it's day. However, it just does not compare to a narrow Avet HXJ 2 speed, or a Accurate Dauntless 600 NN 2 speed or about 6 other reels better suited for this type of fishing. therefore I have already committed to shipping them to someone from this site who, hopefully will make use of them!

Topless frames and 2 speeds with lots of extra drag capacity has spoiled me! However, I WILL be fishing that Penn YT special and both Newells, the 334 and 440, all single speeds on my next trip. This way the newbies will get to fish the new 2 speed stuff and they can then decide what to buy for the following year! :-)