Can I get frames and spools for 30T & 50SW

Started by garyal, February 08, 2016, 01:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyal

I have two older Penn Internationals that I would like to use again on 13+ day trips with my son:

1) 30 year old 30T with Cal 2 speed kit and blueprinted for 100 lb top shot with 30 lbs. of drag. This frame has a top bar. To turn this into a topless, can I buy JUST a frame or do I need a frame and spool? Which aftermarket (or Penn) frame /  spool should I use?

2) 30 year old 50SW, blueprinted by Cal for free spool at 35 Lbs. of drag. I want to convert this to a topless with a STANDARD width spool, (go from 50SW to 50S) since, using spectra I do not need the WIDE version line capacity.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Keta

I am assuming you have the post frame reels,  I have been wanting to do this with my 50SW (not a post frame) by trading frame and spool with someone with a 50S that wanted a 50SW.   

Tiburon makes a frames, I50T ($165.95), and Scotts has a few 29L-50S spools ($118.15).  It will end up costing $275-$300 for the spool and frame.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

garyal

thanks for your comments. Mine has a one piece frame, not posts. I am OK with spending money to do this. Who is "Scott's"?

From what you wrote, it appears I CAN get a topless 50S frame and spool???? I would then have the original 50SW frame and spool for someone to use...

Keta

Quote from: garyal on February 08, 2016, 04:30:22 PM
thanks for your comments. Mine has a one piece frame, not posts. I am OK with spending money to do this. Who is "Scott's"?

From what you wrote, it appears I CAN get a topless 50S frame and spool???? I would then have the original 50SW frame and spool for someone to use...

Scott's Bait and Tackle, the best source I have for most Penn parts.  You will have to find a source for the spool but I provided a link to Tiburon's International spool page.

Here is a link to the 29L-50S spool.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/29L-50S.aspx

Tiburon International 50S Spool,
http://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/international

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

garyal

Thanks,

I ordered the topless frame for both from Tiburon and the narrow spool from Scott's in order to convert the 50 from SW to S.

garyal

I got the topless frame and spool from Tiburon and Scott's. I just forgot the shorter spool shaft! It should arrive tomorrow. Since this reel was originally "blueprinted" by Cal, I had to also cut down the spool spacer for the new width spool. I will post a photo when I get is back together.

Now on the second reel, the International 30T with top bar. The frame sent from Tiburon was not for this reel. I talked with Bob at Tiburon and what I need is the I30T frame and it is no longer in production. Therefore, I am in the market for a used or new Tiburon topless frame part number I30T. Can anyone help or offer another alternative for converting a 30T to topless? BTW: it does not matter for the conversion but this reel was converted years ago to Cal's 2 speed and blueprinted for 30LBs. of drag.

If I just put the frame in an end mill and machine away the bar, how could I get the edges gold again?

Keta

Quote from: garyal on February 16, 2016, 12:06:03 AMIf I just put the frame in an end mill and machine away the bar, how could I get the edges gold again?

The best thing to do is have it reanodized but $$$

Mark Twain

garyal

Quote from: Keta on February 16, 2016, 01:04:58 AM
Quote from: garyal on February 16, 2016, 12:06:03 AMIf I just put the frame in an end mill and machine away the bar, how could I get the edges gold again?

The best thing to do is have it reanodized but $$$

What ballpark RANGE?

Patudo

Gentlemen.. Is the tiburon frame for the old spacer bar 50 Wide still available?  I'd like to fit one to mine if one is obtainable. 

Maxed Out

Pretty sure they do

you can look at tiburonfishingreels.com

Randy from vintage offshore tackle is the guy to buy from if/when you decide to buy.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!