Old Ambassadeur frames question

Started by nelz, February 09, 2016, 06:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I just bought a Ambassadeur 5000 (4 screw) in near mint condition. However, the edge of the frame, where it wraps around the spool lip, is bare metal, no red finish (on both sides). Did some of these reels come this way from the factory?

It's well done, you can't even see it unless the spool is removed. The reel looks great and feels new otherwise...

Fish-aholic

Might be design if it's bare for 360 degrees of the lip - or it might of been caused by the lip of the spool nestling against the lip of the cage from a set drag paying out line. Check the lip of the spool.

No big deal, an annual wipe with an anti corrosive lube will help.  ;)

nelz

The spool's fine. The unfinished area looks nice and even, as if it came that way from the factory. I've seen a few frames for sale that are the same. I am just concerned about how this will affect collector value, I don't plan on using this reel.

Anybody know if any came that way from the factory?

Are you talking about the tiny edge the spool slips into or is the entire frame silver?

Marcq

No it's not normal, I've  had a lot of them and it should be all anodize, like this one, unless it's wear

Marc

Fish-aholic

I'm not sure a collector is going to lose any sleep over the inner lip of a cage when assembled and sitting pretty in either a display/decorative box ???

Marcq

Quote from: Fish-aholic on February 10, 2016, 01:42:46 AM
I'm not sure a collector is going to lose any sleep over the inner lip of a cage when assembled and sitting pretty in either a display/decorative box ???

Probably just figure out what could have happen to the frame, I guess

Marc..

nelz

The frame seems perfect in all other ways. Actually, the entire reel seems like new, gears are tight and smooth, and screws are all intact. Also, this is the first time ever I've had an old Abu like this with it's original drag functioning very smoothly.

nelz

I received this very informative reply from Fred Ribb, a well known Abu collector:

"What you described is factory and I have owned several. In fact, go to my
webpage and in the table of contents click "Desirable Reels" and the first
two reels pictured have bare metal inner plates. Click on the picture to
enlarge it and then click it again for super-large picture. ABU did this
into the very early 1960's. Afterwards, the inner plates were anodized from
then on."

I hope it's ok to share his site here:
http://www.lurelore.com/freds/abu.html#section8

Marcq

Fish-aholic

Confirmed my first response; by design.  ;)