Penn Squidder 146 Build

Started by steelhead_killer, February 10, 2016, 11:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: Black Pearl on February 10, 2016, 11:38:58 PM
Well, I will let the cat out of the bag.

I have talked to Sal for awhile now. I have added the following item to my next project after the 113HSN is done, my resource will work on a Squidder that will use all Jigmaster 500 all parts in the right side plate with a one piece frame with the left side plate. This project will start around July.

There you go!

I'm glad you decided to move forward with this Alan. July would give plenty of time to save up on this one.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mike1010

Alan, we are talking about 4:1 gears here, right?  Do we have a shot at 5:1?  Thanks.

Mike

Black Pearl

Quote from: mike1010 on February 14, 2016, 03:24:32 PM
Alan, we are talking about 4:1 gears here, right?  Do we have a shot at 5:1?  Thanks.

Mike

We are taking about both. It should not matter.

jigmaster501

These reels will last a lifetime.

Alto Mare

Quote from: jigmaster501 on February 14, 2016, 04:12:44 PM
These reels will last a lifetime.

They already do last a lifetime, actually more than our lifetime.
If everything goes according to plans, as the head plate accepting  the Jigmaster's guts, you will have a choice for the 4:1 ratio or 5:1.
This is exciting, it will surely be a heck of a reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mike1010

Quote from: Black Pearl on February 14, 2016, 03:39:15 PM

Mike

Agree.  I was unclear.  My real question is about finding 5:1 gears, which would make the reel much more appealing than 4:1.

Mike

Black Pearl

Quote from: mike1010 on February 14, 2016, 09:29:28 PM
Quote from: Black Pearl on February 14, 2016, 03:39:15 PM

Mike

Agree.  I was unclear.  My real question is about finding 5:1 gears, which would make the reel much more appealing than 4:1.

Mike

I will have a new 5:1 gear set for the Jigmaster or 112h,

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6713.msg174426#msg174426

redfish12

Is left hand an option?? This would be a killer tautog/striped bass/bluefish reel for the NE and would be very much appreciated in a LH version!

mike1010

ReelCurious

Magnum Squidder will be a lot of fun.  Any chances of a 145 sized spool fitting one?

Alto Mare

That is the plan, so you could use existing spools, but things might changed along the way. We'll need to wait and see if they could make it work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jurelometer

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 18, 2016, 11:05:04 PM
That is the plan, so you could use existing spools, but things might changed along the way. We'll need to wait and see if they could make it work.

Sal

Hi Sal,

I suspect that I am telling the master something that he already knows  ;D  but here goes...

I don't think you can use the existing Squidder spool/spindle and the Jigmaster guts. the jigmaster bridgeplate and gear center-to center spacing are are too wide to fit under the squidder spool lip  -where they have to be in order for the pinion to spindle junction to be aligned.   I guess it might be possible to make an adapter that pressed into the spindle and extended the pinion junction, but not sure how robust this solution would be and if it leaves enough room for pinion travel.   Plus narrow spools are so rare now that new  spools would still have to be part of any kit.

My suggestion would be to try new spools that matched all the original spool dimensions with an slight alteration on the right hand side to slightly extend just the spindle (including pinon junction) as noted in my previous posts.   If  done correctly, there would be options in the future to mix and match frames, side plates, and spools/kits, both using some existing and some new parts.  From preliminary measurement and design, it seemed possible to not only reuse the jigmaster mechanical components, but also squidder compatible frames and left sideplates.  (BTW- I'm not going further on a squidmaster project, just thought I might share my ideas).

Also there seems to be some market for replacement stock spools.   This design makes it easier and more cost effective to supply aftermarket spools for stock squidders as well.  Same aluminum parts, just a slightly different spindle pressed in.

One other thought:   it might be possible to do all this and make the new spools compatible with the accurate squidder magnum kits.  Never saw a squidder magnum, but wouldn't be surprised if they went along the same design route.   

Open design is a pretty powerful concept.  We are kind of doing this now for replacement parts, but this is a chance to do it for a whole reel.   

-J.

Alto Mare

Hello Dave, yes that is why I said IF they could make it work. I do know that Alan has some good guys working on his projects, we will just need to wait and see what they come up with.
There are a few ways you could go with this, but again, that is up to his guys to see if it is possible.
Here is a design that has really impressed me in the past, the 970 mag.

As you could notice, the spool is pretty far from the late, a spool doesn't need to ride over the bridge and gear.
This spool that i'm showing above is actually smaller that the Squidder and the main gear is larger than the Jigmaster.
Penn engineers when really crazy on this one, and I mean that in a good way.Also, the left side shaft is the same thickness as the 114h.
By the way, here is one of the star that you made me a while back Dave

I would love for you to make me some more, any chance of you making me some? I'm not in a hurry.

Back on this 146 project, I'm not sure which way they're going with this, I'm just glad that they are willing to give it a shot.
Sal

jurelometer

Hi Sal,

I agree.  A smart move by Penn on the Mag series spindles.

In an ideal design, the bearings are close to the spool.  This allows for more strength while keeping the bearings and shafts as small as possible.  The design of the classic Penns does not  really allow this (if you want to re-use most parts), so the next best thing is to make the spindles thicker up to the bearing seat.  This could be done on a squidmaster or squidder replacement spool as well without breaking compatibility with existing parts and sideplates.

Re:  Stars - glad you like them!   I don't think I want to make the same stars again.  I have an idea for a new star design that might have some functional merit.    I will PM you  for your feedback.

otghoyt

I really hate to profess my ignorance, but............In the search for torque multiplication a smaller pinion and larger main would do the trick.  To increase the retrieval rate wouldn't you increase the pinion and decrease the main?   Personally I want more line on the spool per revolution of the crank/handle for my Squidder.   ie: 15p/30m = 2:1 ratio.  16p/30m = 1.87:1 ratio. Am I having a dyslexic moment here?

In which case there is plenty of room for another tooth on the pinion in the Squidder side plate.  Maybe even two teeth with some minor massaging.  The base circle remains the same.  The over-all diameter increases.  I don't know how the tooth depth and contact face would be effected.  As for backlash.  Well, it is Penn after all.  The slop and flex in the stock Penn assembly has the backlash flopping around like a fish hitting the deck.  An upgraded drag stack and alternating drop double dogs would cushion the back lash slam nicely.  As for strength there is higher quality stainless with a higher nickle content on the market.  Shouldn't be difficult.  

By the way....what's up with the slotted crank arm and knurled thumb screw lock down.  I think I need two.