IF you could justify just one...

Started by steelhead_killer, February 10, 2016, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinkwahoo

mark d

thks, with carbontex or ht-100 upgrade would the #'s be the same ?

Newell Nut

Quote from: mark d on February 24, 2016, 09:52:12 PM

recently started gettin into newells and jeez, what a cool little machine. gotta g220 and a g229. wanna get a g 338ish. can anyone tell me the drag #'s on these reels please ? or better yet a good location for this type of info. failed with search so far

thks, mark

When I first tested Bryan's 5 stack drag system I got 30# on a 338. Runs real smooth at 15 to 18. Great reels with the right drag system in them.

Dwight

steelhead_killer

First Newell reel with a new Tib Frame.  Looks like she has a tuxedo on!  Next need the 5+1!  Have the SS sleeve on order. 
><)))">

bluefish69

The 332 is one of my favorites. I use it for deep drop fishing 150'-400'. I only have 3 of them.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

MarkT

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 25, 2016, 04:15:34 AM
First Newell reel with a new Tib Frame.  Looks like she has a tuxedo on!  Next need the 5+1!  Have the SS sleeve on order. 

Doesn't it already had a stainless sleeve?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bluefish69

I have found a few that a magnet likes to cuddle with but very few
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

steelhead_killer

sure looks like a non stainless steel sleeve to me, but I could be wrong, which is often the case.
><)))">

SoCalAngler

Newell stock sleeves should be stainless.

Bryan Young

Not all Newell sleeves were stainless steel. I have a few that look bronze. Slightly heavier than the stainless steel ones that I got.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mark d

the sleeve on my g220 is bronze. not very good photo attached...i think. how important do you guys think this upgrade is ?

vilters

newell sleeves don't fail @ the handle attachment like penn reels. better/stronger design. handle is completely over the sleeve, not flush mounted @ the end. that said, I got the stainless sleeves for some of my newels  8)

MarkT

Blackies and P's had SS sleeves, G's and later had Bronze.  Lots of fish have been caught with bronze sleeves over the last 35 years so I don't think it's an important upgrade unless maybe you're fishing with heavy drag.  Probably completely unnecessary with a 200 series, 'maybe' on a 300 series and useful with a 400 series since they're the size of a 500 series but have the same internals as a 220.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mark d

PacRat

Sometimes the bronze sleeves are chewed up on the end from having the handle nut cross-threaded. In that case it's worth buying a stainless sleeve...the supply of OEM Newell parts is getting expensive.
Mike