Tiagra 80 Drag Washer Question

Started by ohfishalee, February 11, 2016, 12:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohfishalee

Has anyone modified the TI80WA CF drag washer or made their own that has a greater surface Ares than the stock washer ?

handi2

I have done it on smaller reels but nothing like the 80. As long as the washer is the same size of the drag plate that all you can do. I haven't been in one in the last 6 months so I don't remember.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ohfishalee

The washer is only 5/8" wide donut whereas something like a TLD50IILRSA  has a cf washer that has more surface area overall but the reel itself has less drag capacity partially attributed to less drag washers amongst other factors.

Just wondering if anyone had tried.

What is the method that Shimano uses to stiffen the cf washer?

Tightlines667

I don'the think this would be an easy proposition on the Tiagras.  I believe, the outter radius of the drag has a larger affect on drag then the total surface area.  There isn'the much room to expand here in the 80.  Keith is right about the metal disc limiting possible expansion.  The 130 will not fit in an 80.. if that's what you had in mind.  Increasing surface area inwards will have a negligible affect on maximum drag and may actually reduce smoothness. 

The Penns have room for expansion, but this would require some parts customization (likely on a lathe).  I believe the CF on the Shimanos is bonded to a laminate material.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.