Cleaning graphite...

Started by Aiala, February 14, 2016, 05:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quick question: Is it safe to soak graphite parts (in my case a 440SS housing) in full-strength Simple Green? 

Thanks!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

PacRat

I'm no expert on graphite but I would caution against soaking it based on Alan's tutorial on Charter Specials. Some graphite frames have a tendency to swell. At the very least I would limit the soak time to just long enough to loosen the gunk. I know I've made this mistake by soaking Penn Bakelite endplates that have swelled enough that I had difficulty re-fitting the trim rings. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
Mike

mizmo67

I've never soaked a graphite housing, just hand cleaned them.

Simple Green isn't really corrosive so short term it might be fine?

I don't know if it will affect the decal or cause discoloration, though.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

bluefish69

I know the hard way from soaking Newell's to long that the white name & such will wash away. Never had one swell.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

FatTuna

Good question. I having been meaning to ask others what they are doing. I got a spray bottle of Corrosion X that I have been using with a tooth brush. Not sure if that is a good for the graphite but it seems to work. I used to use WD-40 with a tooth brush with also worked but I since have decided that it might damage something. 

Alto Mare

I can't tell you about graphite reels, I got rid of all of mine a few years ago ;D.  I have soaked plastic
composite parts for 5 minute in Simple green and had no issues.
You could try holding the part over a container filled with Simple Green and keep dunking the part as you use a  toothbrush. Run it under warm water afterwards and you should be set.
This shouldn't take very long, graphite doesn't get that corroded.  
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 14, 2016, 08:13:58 PM
...I got rid of all of mine a few years ago ;D.

Sal, I never had any to begin with, I'm no fan of graphite.  >:(  This one was sort of an accident, I bought it on fleaBay thinking it could possibly be one of those mythical early metal-body 440SS reels (which supposedly exist, although I'm beginning to have my doubts.)   ::)

Anyhoo, I may as well clean it up and re-sell it. The Simple Green should work okay, I guess. If it melts the reel into a black lump, I'll post a pic.   :D

~A~

oc1

uh-oh.  I put composite frames in the sonic cleaner with about 1/3 Simple Green and never considered that they might swell.  My sonic cleaner has an annoying timer that shuts off at 15 minutes and sometimes I will run two cycles.  Never had a problem but in the future will be careful to not forget about them and leave it overnight.
-steve

mizmo67

The 440SS are metal, and they definitely exist since we've worked on them many a time out this way.

4400SS and 440SSg are both graphite. People mix the models up all the time, so you have to be attentive when looking at the reels (and the parts) on ebay.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on February 14, 2016, 08:43:56 PM

Anyhoo, I may as well clean it up and re-sell it. The Simple Green should work okay, I guess. If it melts the reel into a black lump, I'll post a pic.   :D

~A~

:D :D

Quote from: mizmo67 on February 14, 2016, 09:08:53 PM
The 440SS are metal, and they definitely exist since we've worked on them many a time out this way.

4400SS and 440SSg are both graphite. People mix the models up all the time, so you have to be attentive when looking at the reels (and the parts) on ebay.
Mo, next time one of those babies gets to your shop, please take a pic and post it here, make me a believer. ;D
I have a bunch of 450ss, but to this day, I have never seen a 440ss with a metal housing :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 14, 2016, 09:55:54 PM
...to this day, I have never seen a 440ss with a metal housing :-\

Me, neither. But geez, the one I bought sure looked like a metal-body, wasn't labeled "Graphite", and even had a "440SS" emblem: 

Shoulda know it was too good to be true.   :-\

~A~

P.S. Mo, if by some chance you ever do come across one that's for sale, PLEASE let me know!  :)

handi2

I just scub them with CorrosionX and a tooth brush. It will clean them and as with all graphite reels will make them look new again.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

For me, just 5 minutes in the US cleaner with 50/50 Simple Green and water to loosen things up.

Then toothbrush, warm water with Dawn, and WD40 wipe down to finish it up.

No damage that way -- and a minimum of work.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FatTuna

Are you guys using the same method/chemicals for cleaning Penn sideplates?

foakes

I have never had a staining or damage issue with Simple Green, the ultrasonic cleaner, and Penn bakelite plates.

10 minutes in the US -- fresh water rinse and toothbrush as needed if the grease is not completely off.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.