Shimano Calais 201DC

Started by Blacklabelsociety, February 12, 2016, 01:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacklabelsociety

I have a Shimano Calais 201DC that is in Awesome condition except for one big problem. The Drag Star is hitting the Tension Knob. I have pulled up the Schematics and everything is in place. Im not really all that familiar with the Dc models. Does anyone have a suggestion or have run into this issue before. Thanks

foakes

Welcome, BLS --

There are 12 or 13 items from the click ratchet up through the star on this reel.

Possible something is missing, out of place, or the washers are flattened out.

Could be if the bellville SS washers were ordered differently, or reversed, there might be a little more lift above the tension cap.

Also the tension cap may be out too far.

Pull it apart again -- comparing exactly to the schematic.

Show us a pic.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Blacklabelsociety

Thanks for your Reply. I will post pics tomorrow.  Bedtime for me. Everything is there from the Bearing up to the handle. When I seat everything together the drag star goes all the way down to the frame. With the Tension knob all the way down the Drag star still tap the top of the tension knob. I will be in touch tomorrow for sure. I have not opened the reel. The DC part scares me somewhat. I have plenty of experience but with a $450 reel. Im going to make sure all is good. Thanks so much and have a greatnight

Zimbass

Quote from: Blacklabelsociety on February 12, 2016, 01:15:02 AM
I have a Shimano Calais 201DC that is in Awesome condition except for one big problem. The Drag Star is hitting the Tension Knob. I have pulled up the Schematics and everything is in place. Im not really all that familiar with the Dc models. Does anyone have a suggestion or have run into this issue before. Thanks

Hi BLS and welcome. As Fred has said you should remove the parts and carefully follow the schematic to ensure that everything is assembled correctly, and nothing is missing.

I own and have worked on hundreds of these reels. They are precise so the drag star does come close to the cast control cap, but should not touch, even at full drag.

If you could post a picture it would help the diagnosis. Sure it is something simple.

Cheers.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

handi2

Great reels and it's just a simple extra flat washer or new spring washers. I keep shims for all the Shimano reels just for that. From these reels up to the larger Trinidad and Toiriun reels.

From the factory there is a flat shim on top of the roller clutch inner tube. It is exactly the same size as the inner tube. By adding one or two you can adjust the height.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

If the drag washers are worn or replaced the whole stack usually needs to be tweaked.  Just part of the price you have to pay to have a compact ergonomic palming reel.
-steve

MarkT

I assume the spring washers under the star are facing each other like () and not ((?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Blacklabelsociety

I'm Back. After a hard day at work it time for reel talk. I went thru the schematics and all parts are on the drive shaft. I have not opened the reel yet. I was reading here that washers may be needed. The Tension Knob looks good. Let me know if anything looks like it is not right. I hope I add these pictures correctly. Thanks very much.

Zimbass

That all looks like it is correct. The cast control cap is fine, so that is not the culprit.

On the star drag do you have the spring underneath that sits on the star drag nut ? I can't tell from what I see.

Also, in the 2nd picture I see of your thumb resting on the star drag clicker. That is meant to be kept in place by a retainer, and not loose fitting. If you have the retainer installed in the star drag, and then have the clicker on top, the extra height may cause the star to bottom out on the CC cap.

I do not believe any shimming is needed as the pictures looks like the height is right.

Keep us posted.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.