Downtown Portland, Oregon Sturgeon Catching

Started by Keta, February 14, 2016, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

About 1989 my brother & I went on a charter out of Martinez, CA.  The boat took approx 7 to 8 fishermen.  There was another group of 5 fishermen.  all of us caught sturgeon but only 1 was caught within the size approved at the time.  All of the fish caught were too small except for 1.  The person who caught it gave all the other fishermen 1 steak each.  My brother (knowing my wife would be there the next day--donated his steak to me) so my only experience in eating sturgeon comes from this 1 experience.  I BBQ'd the steaks and that is what they were--STEAKS--they had the texture of a beef steak--the texture of ours was somewhere between a NY and a Sirloin. To me the flavor and texture were very similar to halibut--but more beef-like texture..   Being steak eaters we really enjoyed the fish.  I would love to eat them again to see if my memory holds true. ;)
TomT

Big Tim

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 14, 2016, 11:31:00 PM
Good stuff!

Those sturgeon have a face only a mother would love.

I thought for a second you were talking about Lee  ;D Nice job buddy...Dee ya in June.

BT

coastal_dan

Holy cow, too cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Beautiful, majestic fish for sure.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

anglingarchitect

We Have Some in Florida's rivers. They kill people people jumping into moving boats traveling the rivers especially the Swanee.

steelfish

wow..

Sturgeon and Musky are the some of the few freshwater fish I would like to scratch from my bucket list some day..

awesome pics Lee.

PS: on a side note, did you lost some weight? you look thinner than you avantar pic

The Baja Guy

Marcq

Dominick

Quote from: Big Tim on February 16, 2016, 03:09:32 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 14, 2016, 11:31:00 PM
Good stuff!

Those sturgeon have a face only a mother would love.

I thought for a second you were talking about Lee  ;D Nice job buddy...Dee ya in June.

BT
;D :D ;D :D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.