Unknown Transparent / Clear Body Reel

Started by luckyguy, February 15, 2016, 01:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Quote from: luckyguy on February 19, 2016, 05:03:20 AM
Here are the breakdown Photos of this reel, it is not arranged i don't know how to do it in photo bucket.

The parts all all heavy duty and all are solid stainless, the plastic body is also solid with metal reinforcements on both sides.
The main gear and pinion are big, it is compared in the photo to the main gear (small size) of Shimano 4gt, 20/40, speedmaster 4.
The size of the main gear is shown on top of the Marlboro pack for size comparison.
The anti reverse is so big that the main drag washer of shimano 20/40 size was attached and it is still a little bit short on its circumference.
My favorite classic shimano reels ( Star drag 3gt,Triton 300 level wind, Triton Mark 4S) are shown for size comparison.

Please kindly confirm the particular model of this okuma reel if you have an idea.

Will this size of reel enough for tuna fishing???..thanks for all the replies..

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s465.photobucket.com/user/tongco88/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Wow that was fast. Thanks for sharing the photos! Your reel is an Okuma Convector CN55; Looks exactly like a 55w I serviced recently. Your reel is also an early model with the desirable stainless hold-plate and stainless gearing. Not sure if the type of plastic/graphite used for the clear body and side-plates is fishable or not. You might want to contact Eddie Meyer at Okuma for more info on that:

emeyer@okumafishing.com

As far as internals, the parts to watch are the eccentric and drag star both of which are prone to corrosion. The star in particular is made of soft brass and will strip if over-tightened. I like to replace these stars with the newer aluminum ones which have a stronger threaded stainless insert. You will also need the additional spacer and clicker components between the bearing and the star should you choose to go this route.

Other than that, the internals on this incarnation of Convector are well-chosen and should have no problem seeing a long life of service with the drag set at a moderate level. I do not tuna fish, so hopefully someone else will have some input on that. I do know that a 104lb ulua (Giant Trevally) was caught on one of these early (non-clear) Convectors.

luckyguy

@Dominick,,yup i was so lucky on Valentines day,,,but on the 15th i received a speeding ticket,,running 30mph in a 20/mph zone ;-)

@MarkT,,,it seems that the reel seat part is the weakest area on this reel,,,i hope it wont break up when heavy loaded.

@Cbar45,,,,, nice to know the model you mentioned ,,,i will try to search again how does it looks like,, the star drag is still new and shinny, maybe it will take more time to corrode. I was amazed of the size of the main gear and its pinion.

Dominick

Quote from: luckyguy on February 19, 2016, 05:45:42 AM
@Dominick,,yup i was so lucky on Valentines day,,,but on the 15th i received a speeding ticket,,running 30mph in a 20/mph zone ;-)
If they told you they clocked you with radar fight it.  They can't use radar on streets that are under 30 mph.  Go to the Nolo Press section of one of the big box book stores and buy a book called "Fight your Ticket" or something like that.  It will tell you what to do.  I got a dismissal doing that many years before even thinking of going to law school.  Good luck and report how you make out.  Also the police officer who wrote the ticket will probably not show up in court.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

luckyguy

@ Dominick,,,thanks for the info....i already search the website but somebody told me to get a local area lawyer to represent.
Maybe tomorrow i will talk to one available here,,,its so disgusting cause it is only within 1000 meters from my home,,, its not in the highway,,, :)

broadway

Lucky Guy,
   You did a fantastic job on your new find.  IMO, remove all grease and oil from the reel and place her on a shelf to admire, as you will unlikely find another.  Grease and oil will ruin the clarity in those beautifully clear side plates and turn them brown. Lastly, keep her away from sunlight as best as you can... it will yellow those clear plates for sure.
Thanks for showing her guts, and enjoy her
Dom

cbar45

Quote from: broadway on February 19, 2016, 06:42:26 AM
Lucky Guy,
   You did a fantastic job on your new find.  IMO, remove all grease and oil from the reel and place her on a shelf to admire, as you will unlikely find another.  Grease and oil will ruin the clarity in those beautifully clear side plates and turn them brown. Lastly, keep her away from sunlight as best as you can... it will yellow those clear plates for sure.
Thanks for showing her guts, and enjoy her
Dom

I second this, it's unlikely many of these reels were made. Perhaps yours is the only example that exists.

Chad

luckyguy

@Dom,,,thanks for the advise,,,,i will use this first on the jetty in the coming days,,hoping to catch a big one,,my shimano 20/40 just landed 30lbs stingray,,i dont know if this reel can do it. I hope to post it here again the fish and size it will catch.  After it is proven, i will follow your advise and this reel will be for display from that time on..  :),,if it cannot catch any big one,,,it will be sell back on ebay..lol..

luckyguy

@Chad,,i'm having second thoughts about disposing it back to ebay upon reading your comments, maybe i'll keep this reel among my collections.

luckyguy

Again this set up was tested by trying to dead lift this dumbbell set, i don't know if this is the correct way to determine its capacity to land a possible big fish.

The dumbbell was lifted and to my understanding this is the maximum strength of this reel while attached to this emmrod 2 tips rod at 25lbs rod capacity.
Had i used the regular fishing rod ,,the result might be a lift up of higher than this.
The reel was set to its maximum drag by turning it in full on the star drag washer key.,,a new drag washer carbontex installed on the reel.

Dumbbell  Materials :1 (6 lbs weight )= 2.7 kg            fishing  line: 50 lbs mono top shot
                                 1 (6lbs weight  )=2.7  kg
                   Handle    :2 lbs                =1.1  kg

The dumbbell was actually lifted at about knee high, but the drag slipped down.

Anyway, i will be using a regular rod in case ill go for an offshore fishing.

Any estimates for the reel strength and the size of the fish that it can possibly catch are welcome,,thanks .

http://s465.photobucket.com/user/tongco88/slideshow/testing%20the%20drag%20capacity

Tested again after turning the star drag to the most tight....no more drag slipped.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s465.photobucket.com/user/tongco88/embed/slideshow/No%20drag%20slip"></iframe>

luckyguy

Hi to All,
Today, I tested this transparent body reel OKUMA CV 55 ss series if it is fishable or not, it has a very smooth drag and castable.

Venue Jetty fishing area in Texas :

OKUMA CV55 ss series (transparent but covered with camouflage tape to avoid UV rays from the sun) Vs.  SHIMANO STAR DRAG 3GT:  

Castability : Same distance with same sinker weights.
                      Size     : Okuma 55 series is much BIGGER and heavier to cast.,,but casts well if you know how.
           Cranking  Power: Okuma 55 Series has more power in retrieve.
           Fishability        : Both reels performed well and catches (2 x 16.5 '' sheep heads) each.

See the pictures below: Thanks for viewing.

http://s465.photobucket.com/user/tongco88/slideshow/Okuma%20CV55%20on%20jetty