Unknown Transparent / Clear Body Reel

Started by luckyguy, February 15, 2016, 01:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckyguy

Hi to all,

Im new here and need your help in identifying this type of reel. It looks transparent as the popular Newell Clear body 220-5 model
but this one has no markings whatsoever.
Any inputs, info, appraisals/valuation from your knowledge are highly appreciated....thanks!

RowdyW

You only have to post it once & everybody will see it. Collectables is probably the best place for the posting. Be patient someone that knows will answer when they log in.

luckyguy

@Rowdy W...Im so sorry for the double posting, I was a bit confused awhile ago to where it should be posted. N'way, I removed the other one,,thanks for the reminders.

RowdyW

Everybody goes through a learning curve. Welcome.       RUDY

luckyguy

@RowdyW...thanks for the welcome....I hope someone will identify this reel and hoping this is not among those Chinese knock off reels w/out brand name :)

akfish

That's an Okuma Convector or Catalina. I suspect it was for a rep to use to show potential customers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

luckyguy

@Akfish,,thanks for the input,,,i will further search that model you mentioned if there are similarities.

cbar45

Quote from: akfish on February 15, 2016, 03:40:55 PM
That's an Okuma Convector or Catalina. I suspect it was for a rep to use to show potential customers.

x2

Looks like an Okuma Convector CN 55 that has had its handle knob replaced.

Probably worth much less than a clear Newell, but still interesting.

Chad

luckyguy

@cbar45,,yup,,i definitely believe now that this comes from OKUMA company,,but 3 model variations are combined in this set up,,Okuma catalina,convector and cortez. At least  my Okuma Nomad rod NTC 6'6'' M-MH will have a reel to be attached. I'm an old classic shimano only reel keeper but this reel will surely be added to my shimano collection for display..  :),,thanks for the reply.

broadway

I saw that posted on ebay, and nearly bought it... if it were a Daiwa or Penn I was all over it, but it's not one of those.
Sweet reel regardless! Let us know what you find out about, but a break down of the reel would most probably identify her.
Thanks
Dom

luckyguy

@broadway...lol...yup,,,t'was yesterday only that i bought it for a good price. it's still on the way,,i plan to break it down here with all the internals photographed for the interested members to see.,,ty for the reply.

cbar45

Nice, now I know why you are called luckyguy..;)

Great thing about Okuma is that they stand behind every reel they make--top notch service.

Look forward to your breakdown.

Chad

luckyguy

Here are the breakdown Photos of this reel, it is not arranged i don't know how to do it in photo bucket.

The parts all all heavy duty and all are solid stainless, the plastic body is also solid with metal reinforcements on both sides.
The main gear and pinion are big, it is compared in the photo to the main gear (small size) of Shimano 4gt, 20/40, speedmaster 4.
The size of the main gear is shown on top of the Marlboro pack for size comparison.
The anti reverse is so big that the main drag washer of shimano 20/40 size was attached and it is still a little bit short on its circumference.
My favorite classic shimano reels ( Star drag 3gt,Triton 300 level wind, Triton Mark 4S) are shown for size comparison.

Please kindly confirm the particular model of this okuma reel if you have an idea.

Will this size of reel enough for tuna fishing???..thanks for all the replies..

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s465.photobucket.com/user/tongco88/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Dominick

Welcome luckyguy.  I see that you joined on Valentine's Day.  If you were really lucky your girlfriend would have bought you that reel as a Valentine's Day gift.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

Looks like it was made as a sales demo. The plastic is probably not as strong as the standard model since it probably wasn't made to be fished. The lower part of the frame where the reel foot attaches would probably be the weakest link.  Spool it up, mount it on a rod, attach the end of the line to something anchored, set the drag and pull to see if it's good to go.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!