Calstar 700H or 700MH

Started by Ejohns107, February 16, 2016, 03:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejohns107

Looking to build a 40# rod for my (penn torque 30 2 speed lever drag) main use will be live bait and casting occasinal jigging. I have pretty much settled on either a Calstar grafighter 700H or 700MH. But can't decide on which to get. Any opnions?

natch!

I use a 700MH with a Torque 25N and find it perfect for 40. I feel really in control of the fish and I find the bend comfortable. Your Torque 30 has substantially more capacity so you might want to occasionally use heavier line. That's where the 700H has the advantage, I don't think I'd like the MH with 50 but the H would be fine with 40.

Jack

Newell Nut

I use the 700M and 800M. The 700M is a lot stiffer. If you are planning live bait casting you may want to try 700ML to assist in casting. I also use the 700L for 30 lb and works great with plenty of backbone. The 700ML should be perfect for 40 lb and live bait casting.

Ejohns107

Thanks guys I think I am going to have to go find some to actually physically check out to make my decision. Just hard to figure out which one over the internet.

SoCalAngler

IMO MH= 30 lb, H= 40 lb and a XH= 50 lb in the 7' length.

The Grafighter line runs softer than one would expect. Also a factor will be if you like to set your drag closer to 1/3rd or 1/4 of the lines breaking strength. I set my drags closer to the 1/3rd side

conchydong

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 19, 2016, 12:13:08 AM

The Grafighter line runs softer than one would expect. Also a factor will be if you like to set your drag closer to 1/3rd or 1/4 of the lines breaking strength. I set my drags closer to the 1/3rd side

That is how I use my Calstars on my few and far in between LR trips. 700H-40lb., 700XH-50lb. Different strokes for different folks.

pjstevko

those line pound numbers are for the leader size right?

Ejohns107

Hmm ok I am leaning to the 700H then since it would work for 40 and 50 lbs. The reel will be loaded with 80lb jb hollow with a top shot of either 40 or 50. Might go loop to loop for ease of change between topshots. I usually set 1/4 on drag so rougly 10# for 40 and 12# for 50.

MarkT

I usually set to 1/3 so 13# for 40# and 17# for 50#.  If using 1/4 then the MH would be good too but the H gives you more options.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: pjstevko on February 19, 2016, 05:07:55 AM

those line pound numbers are for the leader size right?

Which ever is the lightest line on the reel be it the backing or the leader. In certain applications for toothy critters or billfish I run a heavier leader than my main line and for other types of fishing or spectra backing a reel I run lighter leaders/topshots than the main line.

natch!

Ejohns, based on my fishing I'd say the 700H would be an excellent choice to match your reel. But we've never seen any wheres or whats about your fishing so it's tough to give advice.
As far as casting bait, I've used both my 700MH & my 700XH to fly line sardines with good success. The 700H will be fine.

Jack

Ejohns107

Sorry about that natch.  My fishing is  in the gulf of Mexico out of Venice or Grand Isle we usually fish off the deep water oil rigs either on a small charter boat or more often with my boss who is an avid offshore angler. This rod I am setting up for yellowfin in the 50-100# range not cows but plenty fun also good chance it will see some amber jack as well.

conchydong

Fishing off of smaller boats with low freeboard and not needing the necessity to cast a very small live bait, I prefer the shorter (6') stand up rods over the 7'ers.

SoCalAngler

I set my star drag reels at around the 1/3rd and my levers at 1/4th at strike. That way if I need more drag than the 1/4th I can always move my lever past strike to increase drag by a measured amount. Of course the drag is measured with the reel mounted to the rod, the line going through the guides with the rod loaded up like when fighting a fish.