3/12/16 Cod Trip - Any interest?

Started by coastal_dan, February 17, 2016, 06:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Folks I just booked a spot and bunk on the Big Jamaica sailing out of Brielle NJ on 3/12/16.  It'll be my first time out for Cod but wasn't sure if any of the NE members were interested and or going.  It's an 18 hr trip targeting cod/pollock/hake/ling.  It was $180 including the bunk and leaves 1 am and returns around 6pm Saturday night.  Should be a lot of fun... 125' boat with a 49 passenger max limit.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Good luck, Dan! Of course we expect a full trip report and pics, with equipment stand detailed.

BMITCH

Dan, I've fished that boat many times, never offshore wrecks thou. Howard will put you on the meat..that's for sure. I may be able to do this. Not sure of the date yet though. I'll let you know in a week or so.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Reel 224

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 17, 2016, 06:35:52 PM
Folks I just booked a spot and bunk on the Big Jamaica sailing out of Brielle NJ on 3/12/16.  It'll be my first time out for Cod but wasn't sure if any of the NE members were interested and or going.  It's an 18 hr trip targeting cod/pollock/hake/ling.  It was $180 including the bunk and leaves 1 am and returns around 6pm Saturday night.  Should be a lot of fun... 125' boat with a 49 passenger max limit.

Ive been Cod fishing out of Montauk LI and it was a rough trip in early March, but we caught some monster Cod, 50+ Cod was Boated. Good fishing Dan. If you need a place to recuperate I'm 10-15minuts away, in Farmingdale NJ (Howell).

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Bob - Yeah let me know, it would be good to finally meet up, haha.  I was scoping out his 31 hour tuna trips too, looks awesome combining the tuna and tile trips.

John - I will, my hope is to get some good pictures, I'll probably update this thread with my prep photos.

Joe - Thanks for the hospitality!  I've heard of the Montauk trips, some of them are 2-3 days traveling to the "valley of the giants", sounds amazing.  I'm looking forward to this challenge.  My friends/family give me a hard time because I don't do many 'easy' fishing trips; to me, the longer and farther the better  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

BMITCH

Hey Dan, gonna really try and get the time for this one. I haven't been cod/wreck fishing in 30 yrs. last time was out towards Montauk. Big Jamaica is out there on a regular basis so they are dialed in. Would be fun, just hinges on my work load. I'll let ya know.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Reel 224

Dan: The Cod report is good the last week or so.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Getting ready...I'm thinking of taking 12 oz - 20 oz of lead, as such 2x 12 oz, 2x 14 oz, 3x 16 oz and 2x 20 oz, then hammered/viking jigs from 8 oz up to 12 oz.  Those with experience doing this trips, sound right?  Any articles / forums I've read say 10 oz - 20 oz so I figure I'm on the right path.  Dang fun getting ready for this  ;D

Dan from Philadelphia...

STRIPER LOU

Dan, definitely consider some teaser bucktails in blue and purple. I've been tying purple teasers on assist hooks and the locals have been putting one or two on the jigs and removing the tail hook.  So far the results have been excellent! If I have some around I'll take a pic for you. Also, other great teasers are the 6" curly tail grubs in white and chartreuse. They usually go 18" up from the jig.
If the current is very strong, a surge tube on the end of a jig will make it difficult to get to the bottom as it slows the drop speed and causes too much scope. Obviously the jig works best as vertically as possible.
Hope you have a great trip and nothing beat a fresh codfish dinner!
Regards,  ..  Lou

coastal_dan

Thanks Lou!  I plan on using teasers w/ 7/0 bait hooks above the jig (like you said 18" - 24").  I have some chartreuse feather teasers as well as pink squids to try.  Good call on the curly tails, I picked up some Gulp 6" mullets and 6" grub tails.  I've read that the Gulp mixed with some cut bait is a 'cod sandwich'.
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Mike reached out to me with this amazing link...holy cow I have some reading to do!

http://fishingunited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=287

Mods: Let me know if it isn't ok to link to another forum
Dan from Philadelphia...

STRIPER LOU

Dan, did you notice the blue and purple flies. I can't tell you what a difference they make.
................Lou

coastal_dan

I did see that towards the end...I guess I need to find some ;).  Funny, reading those big forum threads are a bit terrifying in the amount of jigs, tackle, knots and reel/line scenarios that are available!  I think I'm going to fish what I've got for now, make some rigs and see what happens.  I wasn't planning on doing a long topshot of more than 10' - 12' but man, lots of those guys are running much longer topcoats.  Quite interesting for sure....luckily we get a 'few' years to learn.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Aiala

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 18, 2016, 01:12:22 PM
...I don't do many 'easy' fishing trips; to me, the longer and farther the better!  ;D

You want really long and far, Dan, head out to San Diego for a long-range adventure. Nothing like it anywhere else on earth; I kid you not.   ;)

~A
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

bluefish69

You will fish no more than 200' of water [ my buddy is fishing 170' now]. More bait  then Jigs but worth shot when first anchoring for 20 min. after that bait. Hi - Low Rig. Bottom Hook 8-12" from Sinker & belt High for the second Hook. I wouldn't use bigger then 5/0 Hooks they will catch any Cod you will come up with. You will need Sinkers from 12oz - 20oz at least 6 of each. I even carry 24oz Sinkers
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.