Ambassadeur 6500-S: anyone have a review?

Started by tristan, February 17, 2016, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

Searched for Ambassadeur 6500-S and found nothing, so...

Anyone have one of these?   How are they different from the older 6500, or 6500C3?    I know this model has 2 instead of 3 bearings, but other than that I'm having trouble finding info on it.

Thanks for any info you may share.

- Tristan

akfish

It's a low end 6500 without and instant anti-reverse and without carbon fiber drag washers. Once you get inside you realize that it won't hold up to saltwater very well because there is what appears to be raw aluminum. The side plates seem to be thinner aluminum than on the 6500C3. I got a couple for $30 at Walmart when the local store was closing and felt they were worth it. But at $50, I'd probably pass.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: akfish on February 17, 2016, 09:44:15 PM
I got a couple for $30 at Walmart when the local store was closing and felt they were worth it. But at $50, I'd probably pass.

For a cheep freshwater reel for smaller fish they are OK,  akfish has their value down.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tristan

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've always thought that Abu put out great reels, but perhaps they've been suborned to the 'price point'...

tholmes

From what I've seen, I'd steer clear of the "S", "SX" and "STX" round reels. They're made in China and completely different internally than the Swedish-made round reels. You'd be better off finding a used 6500C or C3.

Tom

tristan

Will do!   Thanks, guys.

mley1

PMR did a video review of this reel on youtube. He wasn't happy with it at all.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

RiverAngler

Quote from: tholmes on February 18, 2016, 01:55:49 PM
From what I've seen, I'd steer clear of the "S", "SX" and "STX" round reels. They're made in China and completely different internally than the Swedish-made round reels. You'd be better off finding a used 6500C or C3.

Tom

I have to agree with this. A lot of Anglers here on the Sac Delta use the C or C3 for live bait (clicker), and they work fine and are nicely built inside. One Gent brought brought me an SX last month and I was very disappointed with what I found inside. I showed him the difference ( had a C3 in for service) and he was also quite disappointed too. YMMV.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

spc7669

My buddy bought the 5500S. The drag star bent and the level wind failed after two hours of fishing. I opened it up, saw the inside, closed it, and told him to return it because it wasn't worth fixing. He returned it to Academy and got a 5500C3. I greased the drag washers and put some TSI321 in the appropriate spots. He loves that reel and it works great.

The S is a throwaway reel. A C series is a great reel that's super easy to work on. YMMV