Stuck handle knobs

Started by FatTuna, February 19, 2016, 04:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Sorry for all the questions I've been bombarding you guys with. I've got one more though.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now because I've been dealing with this frequently. How do you free up a stuck, hard to turn, handle knob? I've tried a bunch of stuff. Soaking it. Oiling it. Flossing with fishing line. Sometimes I just can't get them. Is the only solution at that point to drill it off and install an aftermarket knob?

foakes

No issues with questions, FT --

What kind of reel, handle?

Penn, bakelite, rubber, or?

On the bakelite ones -- I just clean with the Ultrasonic cleaner and 50/50 Simple Green/warm water -- then soak the handle grip in synthetic oil overnight.

Another successful technique is to soak overnight in Mineral Oil.

If it absolutely will not free up -- we can likely swap it out for you.

Is it just stuck because gummed up -- or is the grip post bent or tweaked?

Probably only had one or two that I could not free up in the last 30 years.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FatTuna

Quote from: foakes on February 19, 2016, 07:26:06 AM
No issues with questions, FT --

What kind of reel, handle?

Penn, bakelite, rubber, or?

On the bakelite ones -- I just clean with the Ultrasonic cleaner and 50/50 Simple Green/warm water -- then soak the handle grip in synthetic oil overnight.

Another successful technique is to soak overnight in Mineral Oil.

If it absolutely will not free up -- we can likely swap it out for you.

Is it just stuck because gummed up -- or is the grip post bent or tweaked?

Probably only had one or two that I could not free up in the last 30 years.

Best,

Fred

Wow, only one or two. That's motivating. I struggle with this.

All knob types really. The ones I have now are Baitrunner B series. They are rubberized knobs.

I've had issues with Penn knobs too. Everything from SS, to small conventionals, to 114s, etc.

I'm not always sure of the cause. I assumed that stuff was corroded inside. I've seen some that were really bad, not able to move at all. Some that I can get moving but couldn't make them smooth.