increasing drag on LX and SX

Started by conor, February 09, 2011, 04:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conor

With the SX maxing out at 9lbs. and the LX peaking at 15lbs., does anyone have some tricks to increase these numbers without causing adverse damage?
I will be employing both reels for big Halibut this year and I could use every bit of drag I can squeeze out of it.

akfish

There's not much you can do. If you try to push either reel beyond its max drag, you'll toast the pinion bearing, and handle bind will get pretty severe on the way there.. I wish thee was a better designed bearing to solve this problem but there isn't. If you like Avets, I recommend the single speed HX for halibut. The Raptors are fine too but both the LX and HX have high gears that are too high to be very useful if you fish heavy weights. The single speed HX has enough drag and the right gear ratio for fishing heavy weight. Some people in SE Alaska do fish the LX, but I end up replacing lots and lots of pinion bearings. It's not a difficult or expensive thing to do, but the reel is all but useless after a big fish or two...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

there is a stainless steel thrust bearing that has a 6mm inside diameter.  if the side plate can be milled out to accomodate the bearing, then then the drag range could be doubled.  it's on the list of things to do this summer.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cowbass

Jx and lx max out at 20lbs on full lock down 15 at strike... I bought the jx raptor which has double drags and twice the max. I was concerned about fishing the regular jx at it's max drag so I bit the bullet and spent the extra money... I love avets others may not and may push other brands... But to each his own... In the end it's all about fishing... Catch'em up!!!
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

mmayo

Quote from: alantani on February 09, 2011, 06:19:51 PM
there is a stainless steel thrust bearing that has a 6mm inside diameter.  if the side plate can be milled out to accomodate the bearing, then then the drag range could be doubled.  it's on the list of things to do this summer.  alan

Please put me down for one for an MXJ and a couple for JX and one for HS if it works.  That would be great!
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.