What # braid do you have on your 501?

Started by pjstevko, February 14, 2016, 05:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

55 lb Daiwa Depth Counter on my Accurate Conversion 501, I have 450 yds on it.  I use it for Sea Bass, Tilefish, Cod (3 weeks from now), and as a back up Tog reel (too big for this style fish, but again is a back-up).  I don't use a leader except for my rig, normally 3' - 7' of 40 - 80 lb fluorocarbon. 

Water depths vary from 50' - 400', over 400' I switch to my ST30 with 650 yds of 55 lb.

Hope this helps!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

BryanC

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 16, 2016, 06:09:12 PM
55 lb Daiwa Depth Counter on my Accurate Conversion 501, I have 450 yds on it.  I use it for Sea Bass, Tilefish, Cod (3 weeks from now), and as a back up Tog reel (too big for this style fish, but again is a back-up).  I don't use a leader except for my rig, normally 3' - 7' of 40 - 80 lb fluorocarbon. 

Water depths vary from 50' - 400', over 400' I switch to my ST30 with 650 yds of 55 lb.

Hope this helps!

Are you dropping jigs for those species, or are you dropping lead & baited hooks?  If the latter, how much lead do you need?  I am hoping to do some deep dropping in the Keys this summer, and have been working on putting together a couple electric combos.  It would be cool to hand crank at least once though.  I will most likely fish in 400-600'.

RUSTY OLD COLT

I have been running 30 lb braid and 20 lb mono on mine

coastal_dan

BryanC-

I'm new to the dedicated bottom bouncing and deep-dropping scene but I've been researching the heck out of it...and after a few times out I've really started to love it, so I plan on doing a few trips a year.  Plus that much time on the water is downright pleasant.

Thats all been bait so far, I bought some Cod jigs (Viking as well as Hammered) to give a shot on our 18 Hr in March.  I plan on using bait first, then switching.  I'm not much of a jigger but I hope to learn.

The 250' - 350' isn't bad at all with 24 oz to 32 oz, but the 600' with 36oz - 42oz on was brutal hand cranking, haha.  No pain no gain!  I've heard some tile guys mention the 'bring up to 64 oz of lead' but that would really suck.  I plan on doing a 24 hr tilefish in the fall so I can report back in a few months on that.  The Cod trip I plan on bringing 10 - 20 oz lead and 8 - 12 oz jigs.

I actually found some work out information for large fish for long periods of time that I plan on adding to my nightly routine.

The electric would be nice! Do you have plugs on the boat? Or plan on using dedicated batteries per rig?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

BryanC

I was thinking I would try to run two reels off of one battery.  Figuring I would put a car (or boat) battery in a Playmate cooler.  I have run a single reel this way a couple times before, and it worked fine.  I think two would probably be manageable, but no more than that.