Pair of 714Z Reels... an untapped resource

Started by Tightlines667, February 18, 2016, 01:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

So I had 2 of my good friend's 714Z spinners sitting on my bench for a week awaiting a complete breakdown, cleaning, service and one new bail spring.  My girlfriend commented..
"Those reels are cute"...
So on the way out the door this morning I jokingly said
"Can you finish those reels up today?"
I sent her a schematic, and links to a couple of AT tutorials, and to my great surprise a few hours later she sends me this picture..

After a little instruction on how to properly use the sonic cleaner, how to clean bearings, and how to properly lube the various parts... a few hours later, she sends me this...

And she proudly proclaims...

"All done with both reels"

Wow!  Not bad for a first go at reel servicing with really no experience taking things apart or fishing to speak of.

Now, I am wondering...

1)Should I dissemble the reels when I get home to make sure they are all good to go?

2)Should I put her to work on some of my reel backlog?

Wonders never cease to amaze me  ;D
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

1) Hire her...before someone else does...

2) Do not even think about checking her work -- just check the operation of the Crank, Bail return, and A/R.

Hard to recover from #2.

Looks like she did a great job, to me.

Best to both pf you,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Marry her... before somebody else does...

steve

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Your advice sounds great (Fred.. no Swill), however upon closer examination of the final products.. both reels required a little bit of attention.  Basically all of the bail arm, and bail return parts were installed backwards.. well 3 of them :)  Guess it would have helped if she knew what it was supposed to do, or how it worked :)  I also filled a few thousandths off of the worn bail release ramps to smooth out the bail trip.  Other then that.. everything (including the bearings had been cleaned, and lubed properly, and installed correctly with no damaged screws... though she did sustain a minor cut from a screwdriver to her finger... good thing she dudn'the break a nail too :)

We took the reels apart and reassembled them together and it was a great learning experience (for us both).  Not sure I am ready to turn her loose on the big conventional or custom reels yet, but I am sure she could handle a Penn spinner again.  Maybe have her service a smaller Penn conventional next.  I just need to nurse this thing and keep things positive.  Who knows.. maybe I have found a partner in crime.

Hmmm.. leave the reels on the bench next to a schematic and tutorial when I leave for work.. and when I return I magically have fully serviced reels in their place.  Always wanted a reel fairy, or magical wand.  Maybe I have found one ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

John, I like your girlfriend's comment...they're cute ;D, those are little jewels.
She did a great job... being her first ;). Those are simple reels, but when you get into the bail and its components, even a pro as yourself could get stuck at times.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Apprentices are not perfect the first day on the job. She sure got off to a great start by not losing any parts. That is always the scary part when a little spring springs and you hear a ding somewhere. She started out great and deserves a dinner. ;D

mizmo67

In this house we call that The House Brownie :)

That's kind of how I got started. Reinstalling bail springs out front at the counter, replacing some externals and the next thing you know...I've got a little conventional in pieces on the desk one day.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

smnaguwa

Terrific. I plan to take one to Hawaii for light tackle action. Any problems with corrosion?

Newell Nut

cbar45

I admire her tenacity and the fact that she was careful with the bearings and screws.

As you know--and as Sal mentioned--Z-series have a few tricky parts the first time around.

There are those (including myself) who would be embarrassed to tell you just how long it took to figure out the bail trip, or install the bail spring and anti-reverse dog.. ;)

Good going working together.

Chad