Charter Special Frame Install

Started by PacRat, February 18, 2016, 07:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

I had some Cabelas Points burning a hole in my account so I ordered a Charter Special TR-1000LD. Alan has been telling us what a great reel this is and I knew he still had a stash of Tom's frames so I ordered the frame, handle and drag washer (Alan threw in the bellvilles, thanks Alan!)

I've got to say that the frame did not disappoint! As per Tom's typical attention to detail the quality and fit were flawless and it came with all the required hardware. The new stainless frame screws are a real bonus. I wont do a full tutorial as this is more of a review but I'll include a lot of photos.

I haven't spooled this up yet so I can't comment on drag numbers but it feels very solid with great free-spool. All of the parts fit perfectly and as I said earlier the stainless frame screws are a nice touch.
Thanks Alan and Tom!

-Mike

alantani

my pleasure.  not sure i'm going to order anymore of these.  i think i have only three of the TR1000 frames left.  glad you got one when you did!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Great job!

I've done both sizes of these reels and the narrow 1000 is the best size to use. It really makes these reels into a great fishing machine.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

well, that was fast.  the last three TR 1000 frames are all now spoken for!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: handi2 on February 18, 2016, 11:02:06 PM
Great job!

I've done both sizes of these reels and the narrow 1000 is the best size to use. It really makes these reels into a great fishing machine.

Keith.... I took you comments to heart and got one of the frames from Alan.

Who doesn't want a 'great fishing machine'?

now... anybody have a TR1000 for sale or trade?

Thanks Keith and Alan,

Steve

jayde561

Are the 2000 frames all gone too?

handi2

I still have the 2000 I built and have never used it. I will sell it if someone is nice to me!!

I'll take pictures and post it in the for sale section. The reel was built with abec7 ceramic hybrid bearings, Carbontex drag, and whatever upgrade is available. Just give me a couple of days.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jayde561

Keith how much will you be looking to get for the reel?