Glue stick for retrieving small parts

Started by cbar45, February 18, 2016, 11:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Ok here's one that all reel-repair aficionados will appreciate.

Yesterday I was using a toothbrush to clean the side-plate screws from an Ocean City 4/0.

Went to rinse them off, and ended up watching in dismay as one of the screws slipped my grasp and tumbled down the drain.

I know I should have taken the time to put the drain guard in place.

Not looking forward to the prospect of having to do some plumbing, I peered into the drain and to my amazement there was the screw!

Unbeknownst to me, someone had dropped a small bottle cap into the drain at some point, and it had wedged itself in just the right place to catch the screw as it fell.

Light bulb moment--I used a rolled up paper napkin to wick up any traces of water and allowed the screw to dry. Next, I melted the tip of a 7" length of glue stick which I inserted into the drain and pressed into place over the screw.

60 seconds of waiting for the glue to harden and this was the end result..;D

Chad

steelhead_killer

I wish I was that lucky, mine seem to find the sewer plant fast...
><)))">

FatTuna

That's funny this happened to me last night. It didn't go down the sink but it went inside a small crack. It was very frustrating. I couldn't see it but I could hear it. I managed to fish it out with a pair of tweezers. This would have been a better idea. The worst is when you loose a miniature spring and you can't finish the job without it.

Shark Hunter

Great Work Chad.
I would have went for the Magnet.
Life is Good!

cbar45

Yep, in my case I was disappointed that the screw was chrome-plated brass, then I remembered the glue stick..:)

Chad

cbar45

Quote from: FatTuna on February 19, 2016, 04:19:59 AM
That's funny this happened to me last night. It didn't go down the sink but it went inside a small crack. It was very frustrating. I couldn't see it but I could hear it. I managed to fish it out with a pair of tweezers. This would have been a better idea. The worst is when you loose a miniature spring and you can't finish the job without it.

Losing springs is right there at the top of the list.

I have a magnet on my workbench on top of which anti-reverse springs, yoke springs, and any other small parts made from ferrous metal are temporarily placed during assembly. But that doesn't help when your finger slips installing the dog and the spring goes boing!

Chad

FatTuna

I like the magnet idea. I'm going to start doing that.

Alto Mare

Magnet comes handy in many cases. I'm a mason and carpenter, I have dropped my trowel while building a chimney a couple of times, I've also dropped chisels in concrete blacks. My magnet always got my tools back.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.