Jigging master PE4 drag trouble

Started by hafnor, February 09, 2011, 08:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Okey guys. I am having a serious issue. A friend of mine just lost two 200 pound plus halibuts due to a jigging master that wouldnt give any drag. (almost freespool with a very weak drag). The weird thing is that it works very well in warm weather, but getting it out in the field on a cold day the drag completely disappears. We tested the reel and put it on strike with 20 pounds of drag in his livingroom, and then we took the reel outside where there is cold and after some hours that 20 pound drag on strike is like a freespool. what is it with this reel?

Help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards from your Norwegian friend, Thor

alantani

first guess is moisture.  if your reel has teflon drag washers, then it does not surprise me that you are having problems, but i have never heard of this. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

The reel has been greased with cals light and regular grease... its carbon drag washers as far as I know, same as the new accurates... when the reel heats up again to rommtemperatur the drag comes back to 20 pounds, still at strike

Norcal Pescador

Sounds like something with a very close [extremely close?] tolerance is expanding and contracting with the temp change to do this. This sounds like an engineer [Bryan] question. ;D
My $0.02
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Did you wipe the excess grease off the drag washer?  

I've noticed that Cal's grease, like most grease, hardens in cold weather, and if there is excess grease on the drag washers, it may prevent the drag plate to properly seat on the drag washer.  I cannot think of anything else that could prevent this condition.  Can you open the reel and take pics?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm with Bryan, sound like a lubricant problem. Start from there before digging too deep.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

Are you sure the line isn't slipping on the spool? The cold weather may cause it to become "brittle" and not grip the spool. Did you anchor the line with mono or tape? If not, I'll bet this is the issue.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

I'm more of a visual person, so it's hard to me to think up possible problems/solutions without having something that I can look at.  Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hafnor

Thank you so much, I will take some pics soon, I think my friend did wipe off the excess, but still... this is pretty weird.

Alto Mare

Try Smoothies, they should be installed dry with no oil or grease as they are treated with dry lubricant. I think they will work well in colder climate.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hafnor

Where do I order from? and how do I know the specifics will fit? I could use some for my saragosa too

Alto Mare

I get mine from Charkbait.com,  Leeana is very helpful.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: hafnor on February 10, 2011, 02:05:43 PM
Where do I order from? and how do I know the specifics will fit? I could use some for my saragosa too

Look on Dawn's [Smooothdrag] board here or at smoothdrag.com  For smoothdrag, you may need the washer dimensions; she should have the saragosas in stock. Charkbait and smoothdrag are both great to deal with.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

hafnor

Thank you guys, fortunately I only need some ones for the saragosa, because... The line was slipping on the spool, My friend was so embarrassed.. OMG! He could not see that the spool wasn`t turning because it is so shiny and the reel was brand new. Thank you anyways