Penn 349H Master Mariner conversion to a Newell Wahoo Special

Started by jason_purdy, February 20, 2016, 12:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason_purdy

I'm calling on the collective knowledge of all you great minds out there.  I've gotten my hands on a 349H and (optimistically) I'd like to convert it to a Wahoo Special with a Newell kit.  First question, as I'm fairly new to this, is this beyond my skillset?  The maintenance tutorials help me feel confident, but I don't fully know what I'm in for.  Next question, as the Newell kits are increasingly tough to find, any pointers on where to look (and how much I might spend)?  I contacted Mr. Pauly with Vintage Offshore Tackle, but I'm afraid I won't be anywhere near the West Coast (I'm in DC) for the upcoming Long Beach Fred Hall Show.  Lastly, any other pointers?  Thanks in advance.

-Jason

RowdyW

The conversion is easy, all you mainly need is the spool, stand, & cross bars. All of it is just bolt on. Just keep searching ebay, craig's list, VOT, etc. Sometimes you can locate a complete reel. I don't know what the value is but I got mine on ebay for $55 about a year ago. But I think that was slightly on the cheap side.    RUDY

Keta

You will want to convert the drag stack to a Smooth Drag 5 washer stack,  a Stainless steel  113H gear sleeve will work on a 349 bridge and stainless AR dogs are available.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

OR you could build a 113H Tank that will outdo any 349h with or without mods.

Keta

I have them both and prefer the stock width 349H over my Tank for deep water halibut fishing.  To really gain much strength you have to step up to a narrow frame 114H.  My narrow 114H reels are the same width as my 349H Wahoo Special.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

AND a 113H Yellow Tail Special which can be Tanked is the width of a standard 349h. You can't beat a narrow or standard width 113H or 114H when compared to a 349h standard OR modified. But everyone has their favorites, even if they aren't better then what is available or better.

MarkT

Quote from: Keta on February 20, 2016, 04:30:30 AM
I have them both and prefer the stock width 349H over my Tank for deep water halibut fishing.  To really gain much strength you have to step up to a narrow frame 114H.  My narrow 114H reels are the same width as my 349H Wahoo Special.
How about an HXJ Raptor?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

day0ne

Love my narrow 114H, 3.25:1 Pro Challenger SS gears, SS sleeve and dog, Motivefab insert kit and handle, etc. Have thought about a Wahoo Special 349H but not too hard.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

RowdyW

I would say a 113H or 114H is a bit cheaper. But if cost is no option there is always something better on the horizon. I just picked up a 114H for $18.00 that only needed cleaning & service. I will have to get a aluminum spool for it though because with the chrome one it's as heavy as a boat anchor.;D Nothing wrong with the chrome spool. No S&H, picked it up local. Any good used HXJ Raptors available at or near that price??

day0ne

BTW, there are 3 Newell/349 reels and 4 bars on ebay. Offer about 1/2 for the bars, they will probably take it. Then all you need is the reel seat
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

RowdyW

The 349 Wahoo reel is overpriced for the condition it is in. As far as spare parts a spool will also be needed which usually goes for a steep price. Buying piece by piece will cost as much as the overpriced one on ebay, maybe more. Still better off with a 113H or 114H, stronger compared to a 349h stock for stock or mod to mod.

jason_purdy

Wow, guys a ton of great info and advice! I appreciate it. I have a few 113s and 114s that I want to beef up also. The Wahoo Special is to be my first attempt at really upgrading a stock reel. It won't be fished anytime soon, just a project I want to take a crack at.

-Jason

Keta

The only real pluss with a 113H is parts availibility, try to find a aluminum spool for a 349 and most other parts are rare.  I have had to buy reels to use for parts, 113H parts are much more common.  The only "weakness" is the tall 349nspools were not designed for mono and they tend to spread, the cure is Dacron or Spectra.

Quote from: RowdyW on February 20, 2016, 05:05:53 AM
AND a 113H Yellow Tail Special which can be Tanked is the width of a standard 349h. You can't beat a narrow or standard width 113H or 114H when compared to a 349h standard OR modified. But everyone has their favorites, even if they aren't better then what is available or better.

They are virtualy the same reel as a 113H, no real differance.  The stock width is narrower than a 113HN Tank and taller.

Quote from: RowdyW on February 20, 2016, 06:18:21 AM
The 349 Wahoo reel is overpriced for the condition it is in. As far as spare parts a spool will also be needed which usually goes for a steep price. Buying piece by piece will cost as much as the overpriced one on ebay, maybe more. Still better off with a 113H or 114H, stronger compared to a 349h stock for stock or mod to mod.

Zero real difference in strength between a 113H and a 349, the 349 might be stronger due to it's shorter and thicker spool shaft and the 349 has slightly more drag surface (with a 5 washer stack) and main gear is slightly larger, the 349H has almost 2 times the drag surface of a 113H (with a 5 washer stack) and a much larger gears.  The 349 never came with the weaker brass main gear, only steel.   

Quote from: MarkT on February 20, 2016, 05:24:49 AM
How about an HXJ Raptor?

For deeper than 500' the HX is better but I use HXJ and HX when not using my Tank or on of my 349H reels.

Mark Twain

Aiala

I lucked into this on fleaBay a while back, it's a complete Wahoo Special with a (no-longer-made) Tiburon frame:

I'm sure there are more of these out there, but you have to keep a sharp eye.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

surfcaster

Nice Reel, I am a big fan of  the 349h I saw a tiburon one last week on line for $99
almost bought it twice.Then I remembered  I got 2 narrows collecting dust till the feds re-open the codfishing up here.
    Tight Lines Richie