Teach your son to cook- Tortellini, steamed broccoli & pan seared calamari

Started by Big Tim, February 20, 2016, 03:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

OK my son has a brain freeze..He's in love and now has 1 brain cell & because I did it for my oldest son John I do this for my 18 year old son Mike. I let his lady stay over when ever. He gets good grades, she gets good grades, they help clean the house & as long as that stays status quo I'm OK. I don't want my son figuring out life at $10.00 an hour and trying to pay LIFE bills,but Mike sux in the kitchen! So recently I showed them how to eat for a few bucks and now he says Dad "How can I cook for Lizzy" !!! YES !!! Finally I get to pass on some old redneck cookin' skills to my son...NO OFFENCE  :o So I picked up some tortellini, a miss marked package of calamari steaks for $2.00 and a bunch of broccoli and a jar of Alfredo sauce and call Mike into the kitchen. We put the calamari in a bowl and pour milk over to help the softening of the Squid , mix up some bread crumbs and spices, start some water to boil and cut up some broccoli ect.. the rest is easy unless you have never cooked before, he did great. Easy micro job on the broccoli and a few safety pointers around hot surfaces and he knocked it out of the park

Remember this isn't Chille but my kid in the kitchen nervous with his gal in the house watching!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

cbar45

Big T,

You and that Chile dude should collaborate and write an AT Forums Cookbook.

Somehow, I get the feeling that the scrumptious dishes shown in both your posts are only the tip of the iceberg.. ;)

Chad

RowdyW

Reel 224

Calamari Stakes? That's a new one for me. :o Tim do you just use the body of the squid? I'm used to cutting the body into rings and frying them with the tentacles, or stuffing the body with bread crumbs w/evoo.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Big Tim

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 20, 2016, 12:30:27 PM
Calamari Stakes? That's a new one for me. :o Tim do you just use the body of the squid? I'm used to cutting the body into rings and frying them with the tentacles, or stuffing the body with bread crumbs w/evoo.

Joe   

Joe: I was at the store and stumbled across the calamari. The steaks were oval about 3/8" thick and pre tenderized and delish! I usually do like you and cut the body into rings for frying.

BT

Reel 224

Quote from: Big Tim on February 20, 2016, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 20, 2016, 12:30:27 PM

Joe   

Joe: I was at the store and stumbled across the calamari. The steaks were oval about 3/8" thick and pre tenderized and delish! I usually do like you and cut the body into rings for frying.

BT

I'll have Ruth look for them in the store the next time she goes shopping.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Joe, the calamari you are talking about is from regularly available squid.  The calamari steaks on the other hand are from those large Humboldt Squid.  They are cut into steaks and if not tenderized it is like eating rubber.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on February 20, 2016, 11:01:04 PM
Joe, the calamari you are talking about is from regularly available squid.  The calamari steaks on the other hand are from those large Humboldt Squid.  They are cut into steaks and if not tenderized it is like eating rubber.  Dominick

I see, thank you Dominick.

Joe

MarkT

I've caught a tonnage of Humbolts up to 40#. Rings from one of those bad boys might be 6" in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. You need to go with steaks unless they taste like ammonia in which case just use them for fertilizer.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Big Tim

My Save Mart across the street from my house has a great Butcher Block and my friend Johnny runs the meat dept. I am lucky to get all the deals. He sends me text messages on beef and fish, shellfish, ect.. and will pull packages just for me to buy  ;D I in return deliver fresh caught fish to his house with good brews and a smile  ;D It's good to have friends. Just picked up 24 killer oysters an perfectly aged NY steaks for $.50 a piece on the Oysters and 1/2 price on the steaks. BBQ tomorrow  ;D

BT

ChileRelleno

Oh man that plate looks good.
Great job passing those skills on to your kids, just another survival skill.

Cooking for our women is something that our women love, even if the food sucks we score major points for trying.

Love me some Calamari, especially the tentacles grilled with teriyaki sauce or salt/garlic.
The tenderized calamari steaks are awesome in a Marsala sauce and caramelized onions.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

anglingarchitect

One time in college I bought fresh Calimari and they were full of eggs (about to spawn) when cooked they were pre stuffed, sometimes I stuff the bodies with crabmeat and bread crumbs, since I have never found them full of eggs before.