Old Mitchell

Started by foakes, February 20, 2016, 09:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Ted (Max Doubt) sent me an old metal box with a Mitchell, 3 spools, plus another newer Mitchell, a couple of extra spools, and a couple of paper items.

He wasn't sure what the story was on this -- some of his friends thought it might be military -- due to the box and color.

Others may have a better idea about the history of this combo, but here is mine so far -- without taking the reel apart yet:

Not military.  The box is an old Eagle Locking Cash Box, commonly used in offices or businesses in the 30's, 40's, & 50's.  Good, heavy box -- but a slightly metallic paint, as opposed to military Olive Drab.

Homemade nesting of balsa wood painted orange -- to mimic original box, plus room for two extra spools.

Reel is a half-bail, likely 2nd or 3rd version -- 40-46, or 46-49.

Tell tales are the knurled crank knob, unique baffle plate, no serial number, and a few other items on first glance.

Spools can be switched around -- but these have the old metal cases.

At this point -- a good example of a reel that was used well, and also cared about and valued.

Nice to see someone take care of an old soldier like this.

Hopefully, some others may have info to add to, or change this evaluation.

There is a name on the inside of the box made with an old label-maker -- O. L. Dunham. 

Likely passed on at this point -- but someone may know of the family, and can add some history.

Thank You so much, Ted -- this is an interesting piece to study some more.

Best,

Fred

[/URL

[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/85E535C2-9F36-4F4F-97A8-43F5F15762B7_zpsjhfvof6i.jpg.html]

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Good work Fred.  A brief online search which lead to a 1940 census the only O.L. Dunham was a 28 year old female, born in Florida.  At the time of the census she was 28 years old and a nurse making 3k a year working for a Dr. Alfani.  Not sure of the Alfani because of the handwriting on the census form.  She was interviewed for the census at, and was living in Pensacola, Florida.  She was making $57.00 a week, not bad money in 1940.  She was married to Charles Dunham and living in Florida she was probably a fisherwoman.  If she is still alive that would put her at 104 years old.  That is not out of the possibilities.  I have an aunt living in Florida who is 104.  Maybe someone else can add to this search.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Good work also, Dominick --

Nice if someone could build or add to your information.

Be interesting to know the story -- who knows, maybe 70 years from now, someone may be looking at one of our reels -- and wondering about the history?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Nice detective work Fred. I never noticed the name inside. :: :o :o

Maybe Dominick will find more about the name on the tag. He is a whiz at that kinda stuff.

My knowledge of this reels history is my dad bought it in a local garage sale sometime between mid 80's-early 90's. Dad passed 20 years ago and it's been in storage since.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

My ideal scenario --

To find a relative of this person who might appreciate the care and honoring this old reel has gotten from their kin -- then return restored to as close to new condition as possible -- this unique and obviously treasured combo.  Our only payment would be a story of the life and times of the owner.

We will wait and see.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mike1010

I like the balsa nest.  Mrs. Dunham clearly cared for that reel.

Mike