from wendy at izorline!

Started by alantani, February 22, 2016, 05:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

from wendy at Izorline!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Thanks for this, Alan -- that is a solid, skinny -- but tough knot that will go through guides well, if needed.

I know you mentioned that you and Joey have set up a line-winding station.  Is Izorline one of your suppliers?

If so, I was wondering how you like the company, pricing, and line quality?  Who are you using?

I have used BBG, Ande, and Izorline for a good many years -- and am ready to make another large order.  Generally make 2 or 3 a year.  30 or 40 5 pound spools at a time.  20-25-30-40-50-60-80-100 -- plus a lot of 4-6-8-10-15, for the spinners, which I also do a lot of.

Go through a lot of line.

My philosophy on line is to use mono -- and change it out each year as needed.  It is cheap -- and cheap insurance for a good fishing experience.  When a client wants braid -- I generally just let them spool it themselves -- because it is expensive to stock enough of -- and there is much personal preference involved.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

i spoke to wendy this afternoon.  actually, she did most of the talking because my voice is shot and i'm still trying to recover from a mild case of pneumonia.  i'm going to start carrying izor, but i have to talk this over with bryan and see what will fit well.  i have plenty of room on the top shelf for another brand of mono!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Get some rest, Alan --

Best thing for what ails you -- plus some meds, more rest, and maybe a few drops of Scotch (good remedy in case of snakebite).  Of course, you know all of this already.

Thanks for the info -- I will see likely see them at Fred Hall.

Take care...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

You can trim the tag end of the leader but if it is not cut completely flush it will make a clicking noise as it passes through the guides.  Cutting a uni knot tag end flush is not as dangerous as cutting a clinch knot tag end flush.  But, to be safe, I like to leave a 3/16" tag end on the leader material.  I then take the long untrimmed tag of the braid and tie a series of chain knots (aka lock stitch half-hitches) to lash the leader tag end against the braid side of the knot.  This makes the overall width of the knot slightly larger and it's not as slim, beautiful and quick as before. But, lashing down a protruding tag end is safer, makes the knot quieter passing through the guides, and provides better abrasion resistance.

For what it's worth, I was using a FG knot (finger handcuff type knot) to tie braid to leader but had one start to unravel not long ago and am now afraid of the FG. I switched to a uni-to-uni connection with the tag end of the leader lashed down as noted above. 

A nineteen-wrap clinch knot on the braid side of the Slim Beauty is probably as good or better than an eight to ten-wrap uni knot on the braid side.

Sorry to hear about your voice Alan, but glad it did not affect your typing too.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

-steve

MarkT

That looks like what is called a Bob Sands knot in Southern California.  A Tony Pena is the same except you just tie an overhand knot with the mono rather than a Uni.  When I google Slim Beauty the instructions I get show the spectra doubled and then not making as many wraps.

I've been using Izor XXX for the past couple of years and really like it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Alan, since you cannot talk  ;D, I'm writing to you.

I like Izorline.  I have been using it for years.  It's affordable and very strong.  I have been using their braid as well in my reels needing over 50# test.  No complaints.

Unfortunately, Izorline is not a well known brand...kind of a sleeper brand everywhere except the West Coast...an excellent product line.

If we can add it, I think it would be an plus.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

Izorline has been around a long time.  The first spectra on the market was Izor. I use it a lot.
Their First String mono is what most people think of with Izorline.  Their newer XXX is a copolymer a lot like PLine CXX. It only goes up to 40# in 1/4# spools but you can get 50#+ in larger spools.  I should get a 1/2# spool of 50#!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

garyal

I have my own winder and I buy Izorline hollow core spectra for my 80 - 200 lb. needs. It is good stuff! I buy the larger bulk spools.

however, for anything under 80 lbs, I buy Power Pro hollow ace. This is more costly. However, I can use the needles to make the loops and wind-ons with the power pro. even the hollow ace 40 lb stuff takes the latch needles easier than everyone else's 80 lb or 100 lb!

I run all my reels now with loop to loop wind on leaders. Quick and easy to change even while on rough water. However, I only fish long range trips of 7 days or more nowadays.

foakes

Just checked, and am down to just a few spools of Izor Mono.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

sundaytrucka

Hey Fred,

I would recommend the Izorline XXX, as others have, for the complete range, 2 pound on up to big game. Good stuff, works well with knot tying and generally breaks at higher than rated test.

Izorline also makes fluorocarbon leader, but I cannot find any spec or details on the materials, have not seen it for sale at any of the SoCal shops I frequent.

-Scott

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

SoCalAngler

I too am a big fan of the triple X. I have been fishing it for about 10 years now and it is my first choice for line. The triple X comes is both clear and smoke color. I fish the clear but people I know that fish lakes and inshore like the smoke.

Izorline does have fluorocarbon but I normally only find their larger test (like 100 lb or above) 25 yard coils in some of the tackle shops I go into.

I don't think they have come out with a 8 strand solid spectra line yet, opting to still use a 4 strand, which to me feels a bit rough.

Tiddlerbasher

They have come out with a 12 & 16 strand hollow:) The solid braid in 3, 4, 6 & 8 strand didn't test so well :(

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

SoCalAngler

Tiddle,

I checked your link but I don't see any Izorline spectra other than their 12, and 16 strand hollow tested. These also tested well above their rated breaking strength.

Maybe I missed something but if you could point me to where you saw the 3, 6 and 8 strand solid tests that would be great.

Tiddlerbasher

Socal the solid braid test results are after the table of hollow core (separate table). But they are still in alphabetical order.