Carbontex Under Gear Washer

Started by handi2, February 23, 2016, 11:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I'm showing a Penn 113H after one season on a charter boat. Notice the under gear washer we don't use anymore. 4 reels so far were like this.

Thanks Sal..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

I discovered the same thing here. Delrin under the gear is the way to go. CF just can't take the teeth of the gear sleeve.

handi2

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 23, 2016, 11:26:13 PM
I discovered the same thing here. Delrin under the gear is the way to go. CF just can't take the teeth of the gear sleeve.

I serviced Newell 500-3 last week that you had worked on before. I don't remember the exact 5??-3 number on the reel. The owner lived in your area in the past. He mentioned your name and I said yeah that's Newell Nut..!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

yeouch!!!!!  i've never seen one like that before!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

That's why I would rather use the original hard fiber washer that Penn designed to use in their reels. I'm not against the new delrin washers that are being used lately. They are hard and won't compress like the CF washers. I never believed in the CF for under gear washers.     RUDY

FatTuna

The first year I started to work on my own stuff I installed CF under the main gear on four of my reels, 320GT2s. Halfway through the season they started to feel weird.... I opened them up and they all looked like that. Chewed up. I went back to the original washers and haven't had any issues. I use my stuff all day multiple days a week so they saw a lot of use.

wallacewt

hi handi 2
looking at the pics,they dont seem to be laminated c/f washers

foakes

Couple observations --

If Alan's Gen 2 setup is used with the thin SS washer so the teeth on the ratchet do not come in contact with the lightly greased CF -- that eliminates the chewing issue.

Delrin is excellent, and fairly cheap -- but the original hard washers from Penn also work well dry, as do the old smoothies from Smooth Drag, and the old marbled smooth drags from Newell.

Since I have so many of all of these -- unless the reel is going to be used with a 5 stack under brutal conditions -- I am just using what will work for my clients.

If the clients are doing long range, charter operations, or rentals -- they get Delrin.  Otherwise, everything else will get used, as appropriate.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Youza, I've never seen that before. I wonder how hard they are fishing their reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

It doesn't take much.
Let's not miss the concept, yes it is good to find a washer for under the gear that doesn't shred, but that's not what it's all about.
The washer for under the gear should work as a bearing not additional drag.
The drag washers in the gear are doing their job, having a Delrin washer under the gear helps those do it with much smoothness.
Yes the stock fiber washers from Penn have been working just fine, but but a Delrin washer would be a better choice.
These do get damaged, I'm not showing any that got shredded, I usually toss those:

I was actually experimenting with no washer under the gear.
A couple of years back I was having a conversation with Aaron, ( Reel Speed ) and he led me to these disk bearing. These could take lots of load and still rotate smoothly

The problem, they would require lots of maintenance.

I have tried a few other washers, to me the Delrin is the best choice we have available to date

With that said, use whatever you're comfortable using.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brendan

Dwight took care of what I needed for all of my Newel's, I have not really done anything dramatic with them to say that's the answer. Some of my other stuff has been fished harder but looks OK compared to the above example. That being said, if its good enough for Sal & Dwight I may need more Delrin for the rest of my reels. Tight Lines.

handi2

Quote from: wallacewt on February 24, 2016, 12:58:21 AM
hi handi 2
looking at the pics,they dont seem to be laminated c/f washers

Yes they are Carbontex washers. The in gear washers will be scrubbed and used again. Nothing wrong with them.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

Quote from: handi2 on February 23, 2016, 11:41:20 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on February 23, 2016, 11:26:13 PM

I serviced Newell 500-3 last week that you had worked on before. I don't remember the exact 5??-3 number on the reel. The owner lived in your area in the past. He mentioned your name and I said yeah that's Newell Nut..!!
I think his name is Jesse Johnson and may have CFs under the gear in all his reels. After I found one shredded under the gear a few months ago I went to all delrin and no more problem. Jesse's reels were worked on quite a while back. He had some of those long cross bolt reels and a couple bolts broken.

handi2

I'll get the full name tomorrow. His first name was TJ...
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

The only one I know by TJ got barred from the Pastime by the captain. I did not work on his reel.