Spooling 130lb class reel for giant bluefin

Started by FatTuna, February 24, 2016, 12:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

What do you guys think is the best line combo for 130lb reels?

As it sits right now, I've been fishing them with 200lb dacron with 200lb Hi-catch mono headers. Total line is only around 550 yards....

I'm tempted to move to 200lb-300lb Jerry Brown hollow backing with mono headers. Only issue is cost. Not sure it really makes sense to spool the whole reel.

My current thought is a few hundred yards of hollow on the bottom (reserve line). Then connect it with some 200lb dacron joined loop to loop. The dacron/mono will be the working line for the majority of fish we hook. I like the thicker line so I can grab onto it when fighting from the swivel rod holder. On top, 100 yards to 150 yards of mono using the Chinese finger trap method served with wax Tuf-line.

Questions: any chance the loop to loop connection could get hung up in the guides? Never done a loop to loop before. I have the Aftco roller guides.

Second, what is the best method for spooling hollowcore on a 130 without a machine? How much tension do I need to know that I won't end up with braid bite. That would be an absolute nightmare! Would probably destroy my reel, might even hurt someone. Need to do this correctly.

Keta

L2L connections go through guides well.

A small amount of Dacron on the spool then a bunch of 200# solid spectra toped of with 100-600 yards of 130 pound hollow spectra is what I would do.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

Quote from: Keta on February 24, 2016, 01:03:49 AM
A small amount of Dacron on the spool then a bunch of 200# solid spectra toped of with 100-600 yards of 130 pound hollow spectra is what I would do.

That's an interesting idea Keta.

What would be the benefit of the solid, just cheaper? Just to take up space on the bottom of the spool? My only reservation about that is I have a few friends that commercial fish that told me never to put solid braid on a 130 for tuna. They said that it's too dangerous because it's too thin. For land based shark fishing it's fine but on the boat, no way to pump the rod. You have to grab the line manually. I've never fished braid these reels so I am only repeating what they told me. 

I'll be honest, using braid on these reels in general makes me nervous. Getting the braid wrapped around your finger/hand..... I feel more conformable with the hollow because it's thicker and easier to handle/grip. If I could get away with it, I would just go with dacron to mono. It's cheap and I'm comfortable with it. Only problem is I'm not getting enough line.

I just had a another thought. What about dacron backing, then figure out exactly how many yards of hollow I really need spliced into the header?

Realistically, I need anywhere from 700-1000 yards of line.

Keta

What would be the benefit of the solid, just cheaper?

Far cheaper, use 200#.

Just to take up space on the bottom of the spool?

Just there to make sure you don't get spooled too often.

My only reservation about that is I have a few friends that commercial fish that told me never to put solid braid on a 130 for tuna. They said that it's too dangerous because it's too thin. For land based shark fishing it's fine but on the boat, no way to pump the rod. You have to grab the line manually. I've never fished braid these reels so I am only repeating what they told me.

Never touch spectra under load with a bare hand. Thanks for passing on what your comfish friends say.

You might want to bump up to 300 pound if you are ever going to use your hands.  

Here's JB Line One hollow specs,

Line One Hollow Spectra Diameter Guide            
Spectra      Test        Break Strength   Metric Diameter        Standard Diameter   Mono Equivalent
                 40lb        59lb                 .351mm            .014 inch                           10lb
                 60lb        70lb                 .381mm            .015 inch                           20lb
                 80lb        89lb                 .457mm            .018 inch                           25lb
                100lb      110lb                 .433mm            .017 inch                           25lb
                130lb      150lb                 .533mm            .021 inch                           30lb
                200lb      209lb                 .609mm            .024 inch                           40lb
                300lb      312lb                 1.06mm            .042 inch                         130lb
                500lb      495lb                 1.34mm            .053 inch                         200lb
                800lb      798lb                 1.85mm            .073 inch                         300lb
              1000lb      997lb                 2.05mm            .081 inch                         400lb

I just had a another thought. What about Dacron backing, then figure out exactly how many yards of hollow I really need spliced into the header?

I do that for my larger reels that I do not need the line capacity of Spectra.

Realistically, I need anywhere from 700-1000 yards of line.

Dacron backing then hollow Spectra.   I will PM you a price for 130 and 200 JB.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

Keta, I returned your PM. Thank you.

I just noticed something on this chart. The 200lb has a mono equivalent of 40lb. The 300lb has a mono equivalent of 130lbs! That's a big difference.

FatTuna

Also, the 100lb is thinner than the 80lb! What's up with that?

Keta

I'm not sure on that, could be the way it is weaved.  

The price for 80# and 100# is the same, 40# is close to 50% more than 80/100 and a bit less than double the price of 60#.  I would use more 40# but end up using 60# due to the price.

This might help when you wind the line on.

http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=36

Mark Twain

conchydong

FatTuna

Quote from: conchydong on February 24, 2016, 02:50:10 PM
Here is a pretty good article on GBFT fishing. They recommend using Dacron braid "wet spooled" instead of spectra.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwipvOfB0ZDLAhWF7yYKHSgwBRQQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nesportsman.com%2Farticles%2Farticle223.shtml&usg=AFQjCNGt1pkTRsrlRdHBvzjBwAlWjrZbDw

Conchydong, that is a very good article on NE tuna fishing. I love reading write ups like that. This is one of the best I've read. It really describes the techniques and mentality that does into this fishery. They call it tuna wishin, not fishin.

The only thing about this article is that I can tell it was written a long time ago. Certain techniques they describe aren't used by a lot of people anymore. I've fished with some of the older generation and they love to chum. However, most people nowadays don't chum at all. Brings in the sharks. Cost of fluorocarbon and $5 hooks makes it too much of a hassle. Bait is also a lot more expensive. Some people even say that the true giants are spooked by chum. The theory is that the tuna have been conditioned to associate chum with danger..... Not sure how true that is. I have a dog and he is a lot smarter than I ever would have assumed an animal can be. Some of these fish are 30 years old and have been caught before. People used to fish this thing called a mouse trap rig. You coil a piece of 49 strand cable inside a chunk. The tuna gets hooked and then the coil unravels.  Allows you to fish a lighter line to get the bite but protects the tuna's teeth from chewing off the leader. I've always been curious to experiment with it but I don't do a lot of chunking.

I would agree that 200lb dacron is a good choice in a general sense. It's really easy to spool because it's thick. It's much easier to do splicing. You can do it right on the boat without a needle. Makes for a much thicker line to grab on to. I never would have changed anything if it wasn't for almost getting spooled a few times. Even though a 130 is a big reel, it only holds around 525-550 yards of line if you go with dacron.

I know for a fact that some guys are fishing braid now. Some use 200, some use 300 for the added diameter. They are sneaky though and don't like to talk about such topics.

I'm still undecided. I leaning towards the 200lb braid packed at the bottom with a few hundred yards of 200lb dacron on top.

Patudo

Disclaimer: I have only fished for giant tunas a few times in my life.  I think a lot depends on how quick you can get after the fish.  If you have four or five baits out and your practice is to clear all your lines before getting off the buoy, a hot fish could go a good distance.  If you're only fishing two lines, he probably won't go as far before you can get after him, etc.  

If you need/feel safer with 750 to 800 yards instead of 525 to 550 (I didn't realize a 130 packed only 550 yards of 200 lb line), about 200 to 250 yards of 200 lb braid (or whatever is the equivalent diameter to 100 to 130 lb dacron) at the bottom of the spool/underneath your dacron backing and mono topshot should give you the insurance you need.  If the fish takes you down that far, you'll probably get back onto the dacron very quickly once you get after him, and you shouldn't need to put the real "fighting drag" on him while recovering line anyway, so there shouldn't be too many issues handling the braid at that stage of the fight.  

Loop to loop connections are fine if the loops are made right.  Regarding spooling tension, the same as you're currently using to spool your 200 lb dacron should be fine.  If you're really worried about the braid binding, let off some drag before you get onto the braid.  Letting off some drag is probably not a bad idea if the fish has pulled 500 plus yards of line into the water anyway, as there is going to be a ton of line drag in the water on the hook hold.  

FatTuna

Quote from: Patudo on March 02, 2016, 05:25:04 PM
Disclaimer: I have only fished for giant tunas a few times in my life.  I think a lot depends on how quick you can get after the fish.  If you have four or five baits out and your practice is to clear all your lines before getting off the buoy, a hot fish could go a good distance.  If you're only fishing two lines, he probably won't go as far before you can get after him, etc.  

If you need/feel safer with 750 to 800 yards instead of 525 to 550 (I didn't realize a 130 packed only 550 yards of 200 lb line), about 200 to 250 yards of 200 lb braid (or whatever is the equivalent diameter to 100 to 130 lb dacron) at the bottom of the spool/underneath your dacron backing and mono topshot should give you the insurance you need.  If the fish takes you down that far, you'll probably get back onto the dacron very quickly once you get after him, and you shouldn't need to put the real "fighting drag" on him while recovering line anyway, so there shouldn't be too many issues handling the braid at that stage of the fight.  

Loop to loop connections are fine if the loops are made right.  Regarding spooling tension, the same as you're currently using to spool your 200 lb dacron should be fine.  If you're really worried about the braid binding, let off some drag before you get onto the braid.  Letting off some drag is probably not a bad idea if the fish has pulled 500 plus yards of line into the water anyway, as there is going to be a ton of line drag in the water on the hook hold.  

Thanks Patudo. I agree with you, a lot depends on your operation. We fish two or three lines at a time. With more people on board possibly a fourth. I don't like doing that many rods though. It complicates things. Another chance to hookup but a giant hassle when you do.

Generally our procedure is one guy jumps on the rod, one jumps on the wheel. Most of the time we have only two lines out. We don't really worry about the second line until we have the boat off the ball and in position.

I defiantly feel more secure with more line. With more it's always there if you need it. With less you are hosed.

I like your logic. If you are on the bottom quarter of the spool, you should be making a move to get line back by moving the boat.

The 200lb hollow is only equivalent to 40lb mono. The 300 is close to the 130.

I'm going to crunch some numbers.

If I went with the Jinaki topshot, I could gain some extra yardage. I believe their line is the thinnest. They also make it in 175lb. Could also consider the Diamond 130 topshot which supposedly breaks over 200lbs. I have a feeling the 130 diamond wouldn't splice well into 200 dacron though.