Pro challenger hear + motive insert trouble

Started by Sharkin904, February 26, 2016, 04:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

Received my Pro Challenger gear in the mail tonight, it's beautiful lol..but when I tried to test the drag insert, it doesn't fit. Penn 9/0, it fits the stock gear perfectly. Anyone else running this combination?

Three se7ens

Ive heard of this numerous times on the 6/0 and 9/0.  The Black Pearl gears have a slightly smaller bore than the penn gears (only a couple of thousandths), but its enough that my inserts will usually require a little filing, or just being pressed in to fit. 

My recommendation is to take a sharp file to the outside of the insert, and file it until it is a light press fit in the gear.  It really doesnt take much.  Just check it often to see where its hitting, and file a little off. 

Sharkin904

Thanks. I was thinking that, just wanted to be sure before trying it lol. It fits so well in the stock gear I just about didn't get it back out haha, I'll have to try to file it in the morning.

Shark Hunter

It is totally up to you, but I prefer this fit to be tight, so the insert can't move in the gear.
I file it just enough to get started in the gear and then press it in.
Life is Good!

day0ne

On my 6/0 it took more than a little. A new Nicholson file wasn't working. I finally  resorted to a Dremmel and made short work of it. It's still a very tight, tap in fit.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tightlines667

Quote from: Three se7ens on February 26, 2016, 04:43:01 AM

to the outside of the insert, and file it until it is a light press fit in the gear.  It really doesnt take much.  Just check it often to see where its hitting, and file a little off. 

X2

I have been using a file, and then a brass brush well on a Benchtop grinder to smooth to a light press fit.  Proper spacing /spring (s) on the gear sleeve will ensure light pressure on the stack when backing the drag off.  I am not concerned about the insert backing out of the gear, and like to put a thin coat of grease on it when installing to help with possible electrolysis issues from dissimilar metals and salt water intrusion.  I think the aluminum will actually expand quicker then the gear as it gets warm and hold tight.if you are concerned, you could simply use a punch to peen the gear edge (with the insert in place), and it will definitely stay put.

Has anyone actually had problems with the inserts backing working there way out of the gear under real world use?

I think you will be happy with the Delron over and under the gear stack.  You may even want to try a small one under the star (depending on the model) to smooth adjusting it under heavier loads.. just make sure spring tension is adequate to prevent it from unintentionally  backing off.

I think we would like to see more pictures of your builds if you'very got them?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

John, I've read this a couple times here and I'm a little confused. When you say Delron under and on top of the drag stack,what exactly does this mean. I'm aware of a Delron washer under the main gear. Are you guys placing one inside the main gear at the bottom instead of a Cf washer also? And the one on top of the stack. Exactly where???
Thnx,
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on February 26, 2016, 10:58:52 AM
John, I've read this a couple times here and I'm a little confused. When you say Delron under and on top of the drag stack,what exactly does this mean. I'm aware of a Delron washer under the main gear. Are you guys placing one inside the main gear at the bottom instead of a Cf washer also? And the one on top of the stack. Exactly where???
Thnx,
Bob
We are not sure about the Delrin on top yet, especially on larger reels. Some mention that the top of the stack generates lots of heat, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a Delrin washer on top is a bad choice. One of the members here is extremely knowledgeable, definitely something to keep an eye on.
On the other hand, I actually believe that the top Delrin washer is helping, smooth washers don't generate the same amount of heat as a friction washer. The Delrin is also an insulator, but I'm not sure how much heat is able to hold back.

The washer for under the gear is doing real good, the reel will let us know if the top washer is working as well.

Here is where my discussion on top and bottom washer was started:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11443.msg110694#msg110694

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Sharkin904

It'll be pic heavy in a day or so    :D  work is insane, but at least it's Friday! I've only got one Deleon washer, are any of these readily available, or is it a make your own kinda thing now? I can't wait to show this reel off, by far my nicest build yet.

BMITCH

Thnx Sal. I've already placed one under the main on most of my reels. This is all good info.
Bob

Alto Mare

I also like a snug fit on those, but if it is a little loose it will do just fine.
If you're using a press to set the insert in as I do, be careful.
A little pressure to get it in is fine, but if it is very tight you will distort the main gear by the groves for the eared washers.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I made a small Delrin washer for the top of the stack too Bob.

Life is Good!

BMITCH

If you go to the link that Sal put up here. It appears to me that Sal substituted the last washer in the stack for one of the Custom cut hex CF's. While I think this would work with any of the hex/versa type drags we a currently upgrading to increase drag numbers,but would this work with a standard drag stack.? Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong, dunno. It also looks to me like Sal has it sandwiched between two of the keyed washers.
  Some of my confusion was the way this was stated. "Delrin on the top and bottom of the drag stack". When in reality it's a delrin under the main gear and a delrin on top of the drag stack...?? Right??

Shark Hunter

We are talking about two different animals here Bob.
The author of this thread is building a 9/0 with an insert.
That is what my pictures are referring to.
The Hex drags are soon to be a thing of the past, but I still have two sets of those gears.
I never put a delrin on top of those.
With the inserts, I'm using one under the main gear and one on the very top of the stack.
The only thing pressing on the top is the top hat or the spacer.
Sal will need to elaborate on his Hex setup.
I thought you were building a reel with an insert.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Yeah I'm trying to decipher weather to put a delrin on top of the stack as per your photo or to omit one of the CFs under the top hat. I guess we wouldn't get the drag numbers we would want then. Also...does the spacer sleeve come into direct contact with the delrin on top. And if so....does the delrin deform under heavy drag due to limited surface contact with the spacer sleeve. Meaning the sleeve does not distribute the force from the star across the whole washer. I know as clear as mud...lol