Threaded Brass Inserts in Graphite Frames

Started by Ridgerunner, February 27, 2016, 01:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridgerunner

Greetings from Lancaster, PA.  Several of your senior members have been most helpful to me and I am very grateful.

I am currently doing a clean-up and upgrade of a mid 1990's vintage 113 HLW.  Years ago I ditched the post based frame for the one piece graphite and installed Accurate 4:0 gears.  This round I'm doing the stainless sleeve an yoke.  My question concerns the threaded brass inserts in the frame.  A couple have failed and broken.  Does anyone know a source for replacements or other remedy?  The top 1/8 inch detached and the rest remains embedded in the frame.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Don

RowdyW

IMO those graphite frames are junk.  I would rather use the HL cross bars instead. Better yet since it seems you are going for HD upgrades I would start with a Tiburon aluminum frame first. Then do the HD mods. Don't forget the SS dogs too.     Rudy

Ron Jones

I've seen lots of evidence that the graphite frames can handle 20# of drag. The 113HLW is a nice 80# reel and you can get 20 pounds with a stock 5 stack drag. I don't know of a source for brass inserts but a new frame isn't very spendy. If you didn't want to splurge on the aluminum frame, I'd just buy new graphite.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Buying another graphite frame is going to lead to the same problem down the road. After disassembling it a few times for service you will probably run into the same situation. There is no way to replace the inserts or repair them.  Some of the half frames made by Penn were aluminum & you might be able to find one on the big auction site. They are not to common though. If you are considering more mods over time & are going to upgrade the drags then you should seriously consider an aluminum frame. Especially since it is a wide frame 113 which gets more twisting at heavy drag settings. If you are going to keep the reel near to stock condition then you might be able to get away with the graphite frame. When upping the preformance of a reel you need to start with a strong foundation. It's your option.   

Ridgerunner

Thanks.  I've attempted to buy a Tiburon frame for this thing recently, without success.  The one place I see to buy a new one is VERY unresponsive.  Kind of frustrating.

RowdyW

Randy (Vintage Offshore Tackle) one of the members here would probably have one. He is doing a show in CA. this week & will be back next week. He has frames new & used, Tiburon, Accurate, etc.. Excellent guy to deal with & very fair pricing. Scroll down the lead page for his site or PM him under Vintage Offshore Tackle. He will answer when he gets back.      Rudy