More Stradic2500FH ???

Started by C@TCH, February 27, 2016, 02:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C@TCH

Quote from: Pro Reel on March 03, 2016, 12:51:39 PM
Probably to late to help you with this, but I will tell you the same thing happened to me many times. I used to chalk it up to my imagination. I assumed the reel sent to me must have been rougher than I thought because it was certainly rough after service and I knew for sure that everything was as should be. So, I would order new gears and put them in the reel and it would be fine. After a few times of being certain a reel felt smooth before service but was rough after service, well then I knew something was going on. I started searching forums for answers to the problem. I found some old reel techs who would say the same thing but determined that spin reels just did that and needed to be run for quite some time after service to properly run the gears in as they would call it. Some said they would coat gear teeth with lapping compound to get them smoother then add grease. All this made no sense to me as it doesn't happen with casting reels, only spinning reels. I knew that it seemed the gears were somehow timed or matched to each other but didn't understand how that could be  since they were different sizes and wouldn't hit the same teeth on each revolution. I finally decided to try something. I would make sure I marked the gears to be put back in the same position. To do that isn't easy. I would take the rotor off and anti reverse clutch, then use an awl to scratch a line into one flat side of the pinion gear. I then remove all screws form side cover but don't lift off yet. I use a pencil to push down on the drive gear and keep it from moving by pushing the tip of pencil into the hole in axle of drive gear and then press down while sliding side cover loose and raise it off over the pencil. Pencil will be in the handle hole of the side cover. Now, turn the gears until the marked  side of the pinion is facing up. Then scratch a line on the surface of the main drive gear with the line pointing towards the front of the reel to a point you will be able to put these two gear back together in this same position. As soon as I started doing that, I never had another reel that was smooth before service but wasn't smooth after service. My guess is that there are several key spots on the drive gear where you could mesh them together and have it be smooth, If the reel is a 4 to 1, then there are 4 spots around the drive gear where all the teeth of the drive gear hit those same teeth each 4 revolutions. Once a reel has enough use, the gears must form a wear pattern of matching teeth. If you put them together matched up, they will be smooth, if not they will be rough. Once it happens though, there are hundreds of possible spots, so it would be almost impossible to match them up by trial and error, best now to just order a new gear set.

Wish I seen your post before, I tried one more time and it seems a little smoother. I give up on it.

johndtuttle

Quote from: C@TCH on March 04, 2016, 06:19:28 PM
Quote from: Pro Reel on March 03, 2016, 12:51:39 PM
Probably to late to help you with this, but I will tell you the same thing happened to me many times. I used to chalk it up to my imagination. I assumed the reel sent to me must have been rougher than I thought because it was certainly rough after service and I knew for sure that everything was as should be. So, I would order new gears and put them in the reel and it would be fine. After a few times of being certain a reel felt smooth before service but was rough after service, well then I knew something was going on. I started searching forums for answers to the problem. I found some old reel techs who would say the same thing but determined that spin reels just did that and needed to be run for quite some time after service to properly run the gears in as they would call it. Some said they would coat gear teeth with lapping compound to get them smoother then add grease. All this made no sense to me as it doesn't happen with casting reels, only spinning reels. I knew that it seemed the gears were somehow timed or matched to each other but didn't understand how that could be  since they were different sizes and wouldn't hit the same teeth on each revolution. I finally decided to try something. I would make sure I marked the gears to be put back in the same position. To do that isn't easy. I would take the rotor off and anti reverse clutch, then use an awl to scratch a line into one flat side of the pinion gear. I then remove all screws form side cover but don't lift off yet. I use a pencil to push down on the drive gear and keep it from moving by pushing the tip of pencil into the hole in axle of drive gear and then press down while sliding side cover loose and raise it off over the pencil. Pencil will be in the handle hole of the side cover. Now, turn the gears until the marked  side of the pinion is facing up. Then scratch a line on the surface of the main drive gear with the line pointing towards the front of the reel to a point you will be able to put these two gear back together in this same position. As soon as I started doing that, I never had another reel that was smooth before service but wasn't smooth after service. My guess is that there are several key spots on the drive gear where you could mesh them together and have it be smooth, If the reel is a 4 to 1, then there are 4 spots around the drive gear where all the teeth of the drive gear hit those same teeth each 4 revolutions. Once a reel has enough use, the gears must form a wear pattern of matching teeth. If you put them together matched up, they will be smooth, if not they will be rough. Once it happens though, there are hundreds of possible spots, so it would be almost impossible to match them up by trial and error, best now to just order a new gear set.

Wish I seen your post before, I tried one more time and it seems a little smoother. I give up on it.

I'm gonna ask the Penn service team about this and see what they have to say. They have serviced thousands and may have some insight to this running in of gears and replacing them the way they were found etc.

Robert Janssen

Here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14185.msg144556#msg144556

Sorry i don't have time to answer properly, but check to see if it REALLY is 4:1, ie 48 teeth to 12 teeth and not 49 to 12 or something.  Then do a search here for "hunting ratio"