More Stradic2500FH ???

Started by C@TCH, February 27, 2016, 02:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C@TCH

Ok guys I have 3 of these reels which I really like. During maintenance of them I lost one of the Anti Reverse Cam Springs RD1520 it took off like a rocket, it's somewhere on the floor. Anyone know where I can order one, I am in Canada.
The first 2 reels I did turned out perfect, the third one for some reason feels like it grinds when I turn the handle. I thought I didn't assemble it right but I looked at schematics and even took one of the good reels apart to make sure I assembled it the same. If I remove the drive gear and turn shaft by hand it turns smooth but as soon as drive gear goes in its rough. Drive gear is in good shape,nothing's broken or chipped in there. What can the problem be  ???

johndtuttle

Quote from: C@TCH on February 27, 2016, 02:24:41 AM
Ok guys I have 3 of these reels which I really like. During maintenance of them I lost one of the Anti Reverse Cam Springs RD1520 it took off like a rocket, it's somewhere on the floor. Anyone know where I can order one, I am in Canada.
The first 2 reels I did turned out perfect, the third one for some reason feels like it grinds when I turn the handle. I thought I didn't assemble it right but I looked at schematics and even took one of the good reels apart to make sure I assembled it the same. If I remove the drive gear and turn shaft by hand it turns smooth but as soon as drive gear goes in its rough. Drive gear is in good shape,nothing's broken or chipped in there. What can the problem be  ???

1. The Anti-reverse cam spring is only strictly needed if you do turn your AR on and off. You'll have to order it from Shimano.

2. It sounds like you may have mis-placed a shim (11146 washer) on the drive gear. They can stick to bearings etc and drop off when needed. Check the handle play. It should move in and out a tiny bit. If it moves too much this could be the trouble as well as moving too little.

3. The Pinion is sometimes shimmed as well (6920 Spacer). If the pinion can be moved back and forth a little this can be the trouble. If smooth before getting it back to factory shimming is critical. Sometimes as the gear train wears it can need more shims to tighten it up.

C@TCH

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 27, 2016, 06:12:26 AM

John, I can't find these parts 11146-6920 on the 2500FH schematic I have,can you explain.

1. The Anti-reverse cam spring is only strictly needed if you do turn your AR on and off. You'll have to order it from Shimano.

2. It sounds like you may have mis-placed a shim (11146 washer) on the drive gear. They can stick to bearings etc and drop off when needed. Check the handle play. It should move in and out a tiny bit. If it moves too much this could be the trouble as well as moving too little.

3. The Pinion is sometimes shimmed as well (6920 Spacer). If the pinion can be moved back and forth a little this can be the trouble. If smooth before getting it back to factory shimming is critical. Sometimes as the gear train wears it can need more shims to tighten it up.

johndtuttle

Quote from: C@TCH on February 27, 2016, 05:29:08 PM

John, I can't find these parts 11146-6920 on the 2500FH schematic I have,can you explain.

I missed that it was the 2500FH. Those are FJ part#'s  ;).

Drive Gear Washer #0041 shims the handle play which affects the Drive Gear and Pinion meshing.

There is no specced shim for the pinion on the 2500FH so no worries there but sometimes they are there but not shown on the schematic.

Fundamentally, you have altered the orientation of the Drive Gear and Pinion to each other. Sometimes you have to check the order of assembly very carefully and be sure you haven't forgotten a shim, or some other part has changed orientation (maybe the AR Collar) to change the length of the Pinion when the Rotor is snugged down etc.

Mikes Reel Repair in Canada should have the spring you need.

C@TCH

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 27, 2016, 06:22:47 PM
Quote from: C@TCH on February 27, 2016, 05:29:08 PM

I missed that it was the 2500FH. Those are FJ part#'s  ;).

Drive Gear Washer #0041 shims the handle play which affects the Drive Gear and Pinion meshing.

There is no specced shim for the pinion on the 2500FH so no worries there but sometimes they are there but not shown on the schematic.

Fundamentally, you have altered the orientation of the Drive Gear and Pinion to each other. Sometimes you have to check the order of assembly very carefully and be sure you haven't forgotten a shim, or some other part has changed orientation (maybe the AR Collar) to change the length of the Pinion when the Rotor is snugged down etc.

Mikes Reel Repair in Canada should have the spring you need.

I disassembled everything in order, no missing parts. Just can't understand why it's doing this.

johndtuttle

How much handle play do you have? Some, none...a little, a lot?

Be sure the handle bearing is seating properly. Did you find any shims on the main gear?

C@TCH

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 28, 2016, 10:54:52 PM

Be sure the handle bearing is seating properly. Did you find any shims on the main gear?

No handle play.
Bearings are seated,even tried different ones from other reel.
There was a brass shim on main gear,was damaged a bit so I removed it, didn't make a difference.
I took the reel apart and reassembled it to make sure everything was in properly. Can it be that main gear that looks like it's aluminum be worn out.

johndtuttle

Quote from: C@TCH on February 29, 2016, 03:11:38 AM

No handle play.
There was a brass shim on main gear,was damaged a bit so I removed it, didn't make a difference.
I took the reel apart and reassembled it to make sure everything was in properly. Can it be that main gear that looks like it's aluminum be worn out.

Yes, its cast Alu-Zinc but they all wear out eventually. The thing is you state it was smooth before dis-assembly so it should go back together smooth.

Did you take out the worm gear assembly?

C@TCH

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 29, 2016, 04:49:23 PM

No handle play.

Yes, its cast Alu-Zinc but they all wear out eventually. The thing is you state it was smooth before dis-assembly so it should go back together smooth.

Yes I took worm gear out, had everything completely out to make sure nothing was in there to cause that grinding.

johndtuttle

Quote from: C@TCH on February 29, 2016, 07:00:07 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on February 29, 2016, 04:49:23 PM

No handle play.

Yes I took worm gear out, had everything completely out to make sure nothing was in there to cause that grinding.

Have you double checked the assembly of the worm and idle gear? These are also potential sources of noise.

C@TCH

All gears are installed where and how they should be, I don't think you can even put them in backwards if you tried.

johndtuttle

Quote from: C@TCH on March 02, 2016, 11:26:46 PM
All gears are installed where and how they should be, I don't think you can even put them in backwards if you tried.

Not so much a question of backwards but tolerances. Sometimes the pawl is worn or if the worm is not fit just so you get some grinding.

You say it was quiet and smooth before you worked on it?

Did you grease it heavily or oil it?

Pro Reel

Probably to late to help you with this, but I will tell you the same thing happened to me many times. I used to chalk it up to my imagination. I assumed the reel sent to me must have been rougher than I thought because it was certainly rough after service and I knew for sure that everything was as should be. So, I would order new gears and put them in the reel and it would be fine. After a few times of being certain a reel felt smooth before service but was rough after service, well then I knew something was going on. I started searching forums for answers to the problem. I found some old reel techs who would say the same thing but determined that spin reels just did that and needed to be run for quite some time after service to properly run the gears in as they would call it. Some said they would coat gear teeth with lapping compound to get them smoother then add grease. All this made no sense to me as it doesn't happen with casting reels, only spinning reels. I knew that it seemed the gears were somehow timed or matched to each other but didn't understand how that could be  since they were different sizes and wouldn't hit the same teeth on each revolution. I finally decided to try something. I would make sure I marked the gears to be put back in the same position. To do that isn't easy. I would take the rotor off and anti reverse clutch, then use an awl to scratch a line into one flat side of the pinion gear. I then remove all screws form side cover but don't lift off yet. I use a pencil to push down on the drive gear and keep it from moving by pushing the tip of pencil into the hole in axle of drive gear and then press down while sliding side cover loose and raise it off over the pencil. Pencil will be in the handle hole of the side cover. Now, turn the gears until the marked  side of the pinion is facing up. Then scratch a line on the surface of the main drive gear with the line pointing towards the front of the reel to a point you will be able to put these two gear back together in this same position. As soon as I started doing that, I never had another reel that was smooth before service but wasn't smooth after service. My guess is that there are several key spots on the drive gear where you could mesh them together and have it be smooth, If the reel is a 4 to 1, then there are 4 spots around the drive gear where all the teeth of the drive gear hit those same teeth each 4 revolutions. Once a reel has enough use, the gears must form a wear pattern of matching teeth. If you put them together matched up, they will be smooth, if not they will be rough. Once it happens though, there are hundreds of possible spots, so it would be almost impossible to match them up by trial and error, best now to just order a new gear set.

cbar45

Pro Reel, thanks for sharing.

I also went through the efforts of disassembling a spinning reel countless times, in attempts to get the gears to "mesh correctly".

It was only in recent years that I learned how to mark gear position prior to removal.

The rough-feeling of re-assembled gears timed differently is not as jarring as a broken tooth, but still quite noticeable.

It's a phenomenon that doesn't always happen, but can leave one scratching their head when it does.

Chad

C@TCH

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 03, 2016, 01:23:09 AM
Quote from: C@TCH on March 02, 2016, 11:26:46 PM

Not so much a question of backwards but tolerances. Sometimes the pawl is worn or if the worm is not fit just so you get some grinding.

You say it was quiet and smooth before you worked on it?

Did you grease it heavily or oil it?

I greased it lightly, I disassembled and assembled it again and this time seems a little better. Wish I seen ProReels post before I started, seems like a common problem.