Will Black Pearl 6/0 Gears fit Adam's insert?

Started by sundaytrucka, February 27, 2016, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Will Adam's inserts fit well with Alan's 114H Gears?

I want to add an insert kit to the 114HN I won on the SOA trip, and I believe it came with BP gear set.

Thanks,
Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Sharkin904

Worst case you have to file it a small amount. I've got his insert in my 9/0 with BP gears

Alto Mare

You better check that reel first, if I remember correctly, it is one of mine. Most of my reels don't have stock drags, so there is a chance you might already have some type of upgrade in there, but I might be wrong :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

From the feedback I have received, my inserts have always had varying degrees of tightness in the black pearl gears for both the 6/0 and 9/0.  It seems the bore on those gears are a few thousandths tighter than most penn gears. 

All of the 4/0-9/0 insert kits will use a brass insert from now on.  The edge quality of the cut is much better with the brass than with stainless, and it should be easier to fit in tight gears. 

Alto Mare

Here is the funny part about ProChallenger's gears, all metal stock washers  from Penn fit with no issues, the washers from Bryan's kit also fit nicely . I check every parts that Pro Challenger makes, all get my ok prior to production.
The only issue is with the inserts, but its not bad. A little sanding is all that its needed, tolerance is a little tight on those that's all. Most of this stuff is expected, when using custom parts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundaytrucka

Thank you for the replies, I just wanted to make sure before I purchased.

I do not mind having to file if necessary, as long as I can get a tight, secure fitment between the gear and insert.

Sal,

I will take it apart and check, Alan did mention the gear set was from you, but did not mention anything about a gear insert, I could be mistaken though.

Also planning on adding a second dog. Are there any tutorials on adding one to a 114H?

Thanks!

-Scott

Alto Mare

Scott, I know that me and Alan both had some to do with that reel, but I don't remember if I put it together or if he did. I'm thinking that he probably did.
I don't remember what's in there, you might already have two dogs, but don't hold me to it.
If you don't and are not comfortable doing it , send it over and I'll take care of it.

sundaytrucka

Sal,

It was put together by Joey, I remember Alan saying that.

-Scott

Alto Mare

If that's the case, then I'm not sure what's in there. I remember making some stock washers a little smaller and sending them with the gear set, I had to do that for a reason, there is a good chance you have an insert.

sundaytrucka

Hey Sal,

It looks like a five stack, with some thick CF and Metal wahers. There was an extra keyed washer on top of the drag stack, on top of another keyed washer.

It does have a nice added under gear washer, with a keyed waher on the bottom, to keep it safe from the ratchet teeth.

Here are some pics.

Oh yeah, is the gear a BP set, or another source?

-Scott

Alto Mare

Scott, they appear to be stock gears. Those were probably what Alan requested at the time, it has been a while and I don't remember.
The layout that you're showing could handle quite a bit.

Sal

sundaytrucka

Thank for the info Sal.

What drag #'s could this reel reach with its current drag setup?

-Scott

Alto Mare

Scott, Penn lists these at around 22# max, that number is a little low. You should be able to push it to around 25#, but that would be with the star cranked tight all the way, usable drag would be around 22#.
22# will get you anything in the water.

Your reel is a good candidate for exploring though ;D, here is why we upgrade.
If you use Bryan's 7 washers kit, you should be able to stretch the drag to 25#, while still maintaining smoothness...good option
If you really want to get crazy, try using the insert from Adam, this will really stretch your drag numbers, but not meant to be fished at where it will take you. The reason we stretch the drag numbers is to gain a few more pounds than specified and also making that reel smoother as we do so.
Under load, the line will peel of the reel very smoothly at 30#.
I believe your reel would be able to handle 30#, but only when equipped with the parts we have available today.
There are a few other posting on the same subject spread out here and there, here is mine.
This one is the very first testing on the inserts:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13341.msg134338#msg134338

You will be fine using your reel as you have it, mine always get the full treatment, but I'm not normal ;D

Sal

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 28, 2016, 11:49:59 PM

You will be fine using your reel as you have it, mine always get the full treatment, but I'm not normal ;D

Sal
You can say that again.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

cbar45

Quote from: sundaytrucka on February 28, 2016, 06:31:07 AM
Hey Sal,

It looks like a five stack, with some thick CF and Metal wahers. There was an extra keyed washer on top of the drag stack, on top of another keyed washer.

It does have a nice added under gear washer, with a keyed waher on the bottom, to keep it safe from the ratchet teeth.

Here are some pics.

Oh yeah, is the gear a BP set, or another source?

-Scott

Scott, have you confirmed what the ratio is on these gears?

It may be just the photo angle, but the way the teeth are cut look to be high-speed to me.

Reminds me a lot of Accurate's old 3.25:1 gears.

Chad