Cheap steak done right - Nothing is cheap anymore

Started by Big Tim, February 28, 2016, 09:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

2 for 1 on the top round, but this is kind of tuff steak for anything other than rare fast high heat cooking then thinly sliced IMO, unless you make it tender

To tenderize I put a layer of Kosher or Sea salt in a dish (Table salt doesn't do the job) set the Top round on the salt and cover with more salt. Tenderize 1 hour per 1" of thickness. This guy get's 90 minutes.

wash and dry

you can see the salting starts a separation in the meat

This guy get's overnight marinade

7 minutes per side on high in my raised ridge cast iron skillet (very lightly oiled)

Let rest for 10 minutes

Enjoy  ;D

Reel 224

BT: that looks gorgeous, but I'm off of red meet,doctors orders. There was a day when I would eat that myself.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Tim, looks great! That with horseradish has my name on it

theswimmer

Tim that looks fantastic!
I still love a good London Broil over Oak as hot as you can get it without flames.....
Let the Red oak burn down to a nice coal base.
+ 1 on the Horseradish !
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Big Tim

Thanks guys. The real trick is the quick salt curing/tenderizing. I don't know all the chemistry of it but within hours you can break down a tuff to cook piece of beef to when cooked it's as tender as a filet mignon. After the salt cure and marinade I washed and dried this beef and with light oiling an into the pan and no further seasonings it came out as tender of a cut of beef I've had in some time. No over salt taste at all. I left a London Broil past the 1 hour per 1" timing by about 1 hour on 1 1/2" steak and it came out salty as hell  :( Don't mess with success.

BT

ChileRelleno

Looks great!  8)

This is the way we used to prep/cook huge slabs of London Broil.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

DaBigOno

I'm going to have to try this!

I never heard about salad dressing as a marinate.....  Learn some thing new everyday  ;)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono