Cardinal C802

Started by C@TCH, February 29, 2016, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C@TCH

I'm in the process of cleaning some of my reels, this one in particular had a sloppy feeling bail. When I opened it up the bail spring,slider and lever all fell out. I attempted to put it back in but lever went shooting across bench. I managed to find it, but afraid to try it again and lose it. Is there a trick to getting these things in all at the same time including the bail trip that's in there.

foakes

Hi Catch --

Put all of the parts in place -- greased.

There are about 5 internal parts to deal with -- spring, bail plunger, kick rod, rest block, and something else --

Just get them carefully in place -- ease the cover over them -- fasten with the cover screw -- not quite tight, little loose -- attach the bail trip lever and parts that go with it -- loose -- fasten down the cover and bail trip lever at the same time -- should be good to go.

If you are concerned about losing a spring again -- just do the assembly inside of a 2 gallon clear baggie.

If you get stuck let us know -- and post pics of your completed project for all to see.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

C@TCH

Quote from: foakes on February 29, 2016, 07:24:59 PM
Hi Catch --

Put all of the parts in place -- greased.

There are about 5 internal parts to deal with -- spring, bail plunger, kick rod, rest block, and something else --

Just get them carefully in place -- ease the cover over them -- fasten with the cover screw -- not quite tight, little loose -- attach the bail trip lever and parts that go with it -- loose -- fasten down the cover and bail trip lever at the same time -- should be good to go.

If you are concerned about losing a spring again -- just do the assembly inside of a 2 gallon clear baggie.

If you get stuck let us know -- and post pics of your completed project for all to see.

Good luck,

Fred

Thanks Fred, as soon as I get a chance to get back to it I will try that and let you know.

C@TCH

Thanks for the tip Fred, I managed to get it back in and bail works better than before now.
By the way I love your shop, I could spend hours in there just watching.

foakes

Good work, Catch --

That is how we have all learned.

I have been taught to dissassemble and reassemble firearms quickly, properly -- blindfolded to simulate pitch dark -- and against a stop watch.  Actually we learn that slower is faster -- but you become swifter as you keep at it.

Once you do that accurately about 30 times -- you never forget how.

Reels should be the same way -- although I have never had that much of a need to try it.

Glad you got it going.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

C@TCH

Quote from: foakes on March 04, 2016, 08:10:56 PM
Good work, Catch --

That is how we have all learned.

I have been taught to dissassemble and reassemble firearms quickly, properly -- blindfolded to simulate pitch dark -- and against a stop watch.  Actually we learn that slower is faster -- but you become swifter as you keep at it.

Once you do that accurately about 30 times -- you never forget how.

Reels should be the same way -- although I have never had that much of a need to try it.

Glad you got it going.

Best,

Fred

Practice makes perfect  :)
Thanks again.

Ermanno