Avet Reel Mislabled?

Started by japeto, March 03, 2016, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

japeto

Hello all,

Just purchased a Silver HX 5/2.  The left side plate says HX 5/2 and so does the box.  The reel diameter is 3 3/8" but the spool width is only 1 3/4.  I notice how narrow it was when I compared it to my LX 6/3, which is much wider than the HX.  

The reel I have seems to have the rough dimensions of the HXJ 5/2. If it makes a difference, it came in a black and gold box but my LX 6/3 came in a white box.

Is it possible that the "HX 5/2" reel and box have been mislabeled?  Anyone seen this before? Not happy.  I have not contacted the retailer but I'm pretty sure they're gonna say it's an Avet problem since the box was unopened. Help!

MarkT

1.75" is the correct width for an HX. It's the width of my HX Raptor. Load it with 500yds of 80# spectra then a good topshot of 50-60# mono and have at it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

japeto

Thanks Mark.  I'm just annoyed because one of the main reasons I got the reel was for a little more line capacity than the LX 6/3.  I trusted the HX specs on Avet's website, which indicate a 2 7/8" spool width.  I've always fish with mono only, but now I guess I have no choice but to use braid for the line capacity I was seeking. 

Ruffy

It does say 2 7/8 on the website for the HX (not the HXJ). I reckon you'd have a case to argue if you want the wider spool.

http://www.avetreels.net/HX_SERIES_REELS.html

japeto

Quote from: Ruffy on March 03, 2016, 07:27:14 AM
It does say 2 7/8 on the website for the HX (not the HXJ). I reckon you'd have a case to argue if you want the wider spool.

http://www.avetreels.net/HX_SERIES_REELS.html

I sure hope so. I REALLY don't want to use braid because I bottom fish on head boats! As you can see, I've swapped out the knob. Hopefully, they'll still exchange my narrow HXJ-sized spool and body for HX-sized ones.  The gearbox should work with both, so the knob swap shouldn't be a reason not to work with me. Heard great things about Avet service, hope it holds true in this case. 

japeto

UPDATE: AVET IS MAKING THIS RIGHT!  They've already sent a shipping label!

MarkT

You're getting an HXW instead?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

stoked4fishin

Hey Mark
How many yds. of 50/60# mono top shot do you get with the 500 yds. of 80# spectra on your HX Raptor?
Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Any good tackle company would make that right for you -- it is no big deal to them.

Those are high quality expensive reels -- and Avet is one of the good US manufacturers.

Interesting tidbit, speaking of high dollar reels --

In talking with Tom & Tony from Penn, at the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach -- they said since they moved some production back to Philadelphia from China (large Senators like 116 & 117, US Senators, etc.) -- and kept their Gold Internationals as a US made product -- their sales of US products, particularly Internationals -- has increased 250% over the last 3 years.

This has forced Penn to demand mandatory overtime from their skilled assembly employees.

Just shows...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mark d

thats great news about some production comin back to the u.s.

theswimmer

Quote from: foakes on March 10, 2016, 07:13:15 AM
Any good tackle company would make that right for you -- it is no big deal to them.

Those are high quality expensive reels -- and Avet is one of the good US manufacturers.

Interesting tidbit, speaking of high dollar reels --

In talking with Tom & Tony from Penn, at the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach -- they said since they moved some production back to Philadelphia from China (large Senators like 116 & 117, US Senators, etc.) -- and kept their Gold Internationals as a US made product -- their sales of US products, particularly Internationals -- has increased 250% over the last 3 years.

I will choose USA made always, if I have the choice.

This has forced Penn to demand mandatory overtime from their skilled assembly employees.

Just shows...

Best,

Fred
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn