Shimano Stradic 2000FG

Started by Blacklabelsociety, March 03, 2016, 02:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacklabelsociety

I purchased a Stradic 2000FG and it is very used. I disassembled the reel to find that it had not been serviced and was dry. The Bearings were stuck to the gears also. I removed them and cleaned everything.  I greased and installed all the parts and screwed the left hand sidevplate down and stuck the handle in to see if all was well. Well it is not well. It seems like the Drive Gear and the pinion gear are skipping or not meshing together correctly.  Can this be fixed some how. And is this caused by being run dry for so long. I looked for Parts and good ole proud shimano has discontinued the gears and other parts. Is there anything I can do to fix them or a reliable place to look for parts. Thanks

Pro Reel

Yes, the reel probably went without fresh grease for to long. It could also just be from heavy use. Even with grease, gears will wear with enough use. Corrosion is also a large problem with gears and it will make them run very rough. Reels that are dunked in the lake or used in heavy rain, should be serviced more often.
As for getting parts, most manufacturers don't stock parts for older spin reels. They change models from improvements so often that most reels were only sold for a year or two. Once discontinued, they don't order more parts for them. You can try all the warranty centers that also are parts dealers. There is a long list on shimanos website. Try southwest parts and service and bass pro shops rod and reel. I have had good luck finding older parts through them. An independent parts dealer I often buy from is called dads ol tackle. Look them up, they might have it.