My new Vadney Rod

Started by Bill Karr, March 03, 2016, 04:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Karr

I'm going on the SOA this June and wanted one real good outfit. Since I haven't fished anything over 30lb class in over 40 years, am 70 years old, have some disabilities, and am no where near as strong as I used to be, I went to Jon for a consult. Here's what he came up with. A rail rod for 40. Calstar blank for lightness, durability (as I stumble along), and a little softer than others. spiral wrap-probably not really necessary but I want every advantage. I told Jon that I really like his "autumn theme" but I'm sort of a black on black sort of guy, so he made the theme more subtle. I couldn't however resist the reel seat.
Thanks Jon-beautiful job. Note-The dust flecks come from being in the garage while a new roof was being put on-Jon's finish is flawless.

Bill

anglingarchitect

I have One of his Rods and I love it, it's beautiful but it fishes better than it looks.

sdlehr

Bill, that's one beautiful rod. I hope you use it in good health!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broschro

Reel 224

John Makes a beautiful rod. Good fishing------------------<*}}}<

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Very nice looking rod you will become a spiral wrap convert the first time you fish it.
I thought it was goofy until he put one of them in my hands. 
It is now my go to rod for all things in Monterey Bay, salmon, rockfish, albacore. 
His work is fantastic and he loves what he does.
Enjoy and good luck on the trip.

Jon Vadney

Thank you everyone for the kind words :)

Bill, I cant wait to see some bendo pics with you attached to an angry 30# yellowtail :D

Newell Nut

Great looking build but they look a lot nicer all bent up. Good Luck fishing.

anglingarchitect

It was my first spiral wrap rod and I really made it my go to set up, nice phenix blank, with a 65 Ld braid with Mono Top shot Makira 8, sweet little powerful reel/combo.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: anglingarchitect on March 04, 2016, 01:51:59 AM
It was my first spiral wrap rod and I really made it my go to set up, nice phenix blank, with a 65 Ld braid with Mono Top shot Makira 8, sweet little powerful reel/combo.

I love to hear this.  I know I build rods for a living and my primary goal is to pay my bills haha, but the best part of this business is being able to craft something for someone and have them genuinely love it.  In a small way it's like I'm a part of their fishing experiences.  It's hard to put a price on that :)