Blacktips and a school of something

Started by sdlehr, March 03, 2016, 08:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

I didn't take this pic, but I think it's really cool.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Marcq

RiverAngler

More than likel, a school of mullet. Nice pic!
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

conchydong

Looks like the annual mullet migration off the Florida coast. I was fortunate enough to go up in the Goodyear Blimp many years ago and hovered over the coastline during this event. My little sister was dating the son of the blimp pilot. ;D

You would not believe the amount of sharks swimming around the people in the water. I counted hundreds of sharks, most likely Blacktips and Spinners and the swimmers had no clue they were there.

If  you see the water get blacked out by baitfish it's best to get out. Sharks, Bluefish, Barracudas, Mackeral and even Bottlenose Dolphin could all accidently bite you while in a feeding frenzy.

Cool Picture Sid. Thanks for sharing it.

Scott

handi2

It looks just like what happens on our beach in Pensacola, FL.

I've watched this before with people swimming in the same waters.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

Lots of them moving into New Smyrna now as the migrate north.

anglingarchitect

Plenty of sharks in the panhandle of Florida, lots of mullet and Pogies/Menhaden, and Rays which bring the hammerheads in.  I saw a video one time of a couple swimming people filming from a condo way up, a Big Hammerhead follows a ray toward them and the swimmers can't see squat from water level so the cameraman screams big shark and points. The start is swimming fast trying to home in on the ray thats running to the beach and people who are starting to move in, but can't see the threat.