avet hx single speed akfish?

Started by forrest, February 13, 2011, 02:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest

Hello akfish, last summer I read on charkbait your opinon on the hx single for a good halibut reel, so I purchased one. When I got the reel I put the drag lever in free spool and took the reel apart greased the drag with cals took out bearing, not concerned with free spool so packed all with grease and put the reel back together. I then set the drag to 14#full and noticed the handle turned stiffer? I have read many times on here about avet handle bind on to tight of a drag setting I get it. But 14# I didnt think was anywhere near max. Is this normal or did I screw up, thanks forrest

akfish

Sounds to me like there may be a problem, either with how you put it together or with the pinion bearing. The HX should be able t get 14# of drag without significant handle bind. But as has been stated on this Board and elsewhere, Avet uses low end bearings and more than a few are bad out of the box. If it were my reel, I'd open it back up looking to make sure the bellevilles were installed correctly, then pull the pinion bearing and check it out carefully. This would involve pushing it hard with your finger while turning to see if there is any resistance or gritty feeling. If there is, it's bad and needs to be replaced.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

i dunno.  i hate to sound down on avet, but it sounds about right to me..... :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

forrest

Thanks guys. Took it back apart and checked everything put together right. Its not that the reel is binding up or anything, But it is a little harder to turn? checked the bearings, you can push kind of hard on the inner race and there is a little binding on the outer but all of the bearings in this reel are this way, will changing bearings help this out or this just avet ???

forrest

Also not complaing akfish just learning. Thanks scotty.

akfish

I believe the only bearing that would generate your symptoms is the sideplate pinion bearing. If you do feel some resistance when you push on it, it needs to be replaced. Avet may replace it for nothing, or they may charge you something like $5.00. Or you could measure it and get it (and a spare if it were my reel) from Dawn at Smooth Drag. Her bearings are better that stock Avet bearings.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska