Tackle hoarders, what have you picked up lately???

Started by pjstevko, September 14, 2022, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Thanks for that Mark, I have a few of reelman's newell creations too

A ex seeker D8 painted to look like a black steel, the holy grail of seekers!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

Ain't picked up much new lately; been working on rehabbing a bunch of rods I've had waiting for activity. Currently working on a Berkley Cherrywood CRC15-5'6" that had a broken tip.  Break was at the first guide down from the tip, so should be able to sleeve it ala the Ralph O'Quinn method, then remount the guide on top of the sleeve so the repair will be hard to notice.

Completed a St. Croix 09SP-66ML a couple weeks ago.  Most everybody nowadays thinks of St. Croix as a medium to high end brand; back in the day, they must've contemplated a more mainstream clientele, 'cause this 09SP was pretty basic.  Stripped off all the old guides & tiptop & replaced with more, and, I hope, better ceramic insert models & rewrapped threads with color scheme similar to old green/orange setup. I'm taking the "ML' part of the model number as a hint that this rod was intended for medium-light action.

Low-end Shakespeare Mantis had a break @ 16 in. from the tip, which is a little more of a dicey repair, but I took a crack at it.  Took off all the remaining guides; the place of the break worked out to be under the spot where the new 3rd guide down from the tip got placed, so I again mounted the guide on top of the repair sleeve & you almost can't see the fix.  Rewrapped with red & gray threads.

Did a "mystery rod", noted as an "OceanCity" (all one word) "Laser LP2552UL" (I think).  Surely not a "real" Ocean City from away back when; I guess there are plenty of builders who don't care about using quality names from the past and the he** with copyrights, patents or anything else that might get in the way. No info to be found on the 'net about it. Two-piece 5.5 ft. long; the "UL" may refer to ultralight; not a particularly fast action, but I'd guess she was a little beefier than an ultralight.  Old-fashioned 2-foot guides with white ceramic inserts; tiptop insert had busted or fallen out.  Non-metal ferrule, so not totally ancient.  Stripped off all the guides & replaced with more and better (hopefully) models with chromed metal & gray ceramic inserts and a # 6 tiptop. Originally a black blank with black threads and the tiniest bit of gold trim, and new work mimicked that color scheme.

Had a Zebco Sundowner Model 1930 spinning rod circa early 1980s; kinda low budget model and well scraped & dinged on the surface, but sound otherwise.  Guides like the OceanCity mentioned above.  Stripped the blank bare and, new for me, tried a repaint.  Original color was a bronzey-tannish; I went with a London Gray, which is a light brown with grayish tinge & not too far off the original tint.  Added a couple of guides to the original number & remounted with blue wraps accented with a bit of bright red here and there; that color combo stands out on that gray-tan blank.  Medium action with lure weights 1/4 to 5/8, so should be OK for all-around use.

Got a few more to work on if I get motivated.  Abu-Garcia "IKE-Dude"(what a name) that might be next.

Frank

pjstevko

Looking back through this thread I realized I never posted my latest deals, actually 2 of them were steals!

Brand new Mak 15T SEa for $400

"used" spooled but never used 2nd gen Fathom 25nld2 for $200

Brand new 1st gen Fathom 15xnld2 for $200

steelfish

I always say that I need time for fish not more reels or rods but, when I dont fish often I tend to get new reels and rods  ::)
lately I've been downsizing my reels to fish more comfy, some examples are my latest additions to my arsenal :

this is my newest a ProGear 545 I get from the master Bryan Young and its current mods
https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,38283.0.html

and also this small beauty of a reel, an Abu cardinal 4 in great condition
only mod is the round knob https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,37771.0.html
The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

A facebook fishing group here local is having a huge get together BBQ and swap meet.  I am literally taking crates of reels to sell off.

I am getting to the point where I am the anti-hoarder. If I haven't fished it in the last five years, it's going.

I need money to keep working on my old house anyway. I won a shotgun in a raffle so now I have to sell that too,lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JonM

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 28, 2024, 05:21:35 PMA facebook fishing group here local is having a huge get together BBQ and swap meet.  I am literally taking crates of reels to sell off.

Mind sharing the event? I may join a new group just to get an invite to a tackle swap meet :)

Jon M

thorhammer

Two reels and albacore from Ted, and two rods from Nick! I think they are making themselves feel better about their own hoarder status dropping down a couple and know I'm a lost cause.

Rancanfish

Quote from: JonM on April 29, 2024, 05:10:33 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on April 28, 2024, 05:21:35 PMA facebook fishing group here local is having a huge get together BBQ and swap meet.  I am literally taking crates of reels to sell off.

Mind sharing the event? I may join a new group just to get an invite to a tackle swap meet :)

Jon M
Are you in Oregon?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.