rod for tiagra 130 shark fishing from the beach

Started by NovaSS, March 06, 2016, 04:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have seen those before Chad.
The only leash I use is the harness and plate strapped to my rod when it goes off.
Once I get a bait out, I sit right next to it.
I am very serious about my Big Senators, I know what is out there. ;)
Life is Good!

NovaSS

Chad, where did you get those clams/hooks from? we have really light white sandy beaches where I fish. So I figure with a 5 gallon bucket buried in the ground and a strap set up like that would put me at ease. On the pier i just use a dog leash. I was fishing on the pier one night with a buddy of mine and we where shark fishing. When about a 200lb tarpon grabbed his 12/0 it took off so fast it back lashed the reel. that reel took off in the blink of a eye. if it wasn't for the dog leash it would have been gone.We where able to get it up to the pier and released it.

anglingarchitect

I want to make a rod holder that goes into my 2" receiver hitch on my Denalli that I drive on the beach in the panhandle. I only have 9/0's but they don't need to go for a drag through the sand and surf.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

cbar45

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 02, 2016, 01:44:30 AM
I have seen those before Chad.
The only leash I use is the harness and plate strapped to my rod when it goes off.
Once I get a bait out, I sit right next to it.
I am very serious about my Big Senators, I know what is out there. ;)

Daron, you're a good man to have on those nights when everyone falls asleep--only to wake up in the morning to a reel stripped clean of line. Or worse 3/4 of the line out, and the fish pinned down..:-[  Just let me know which setup is yours, I'll set mine up close so you can watch it too..;)

Quote from: NovaSS on April 08, 2016, 01:11:59 PM
Chad, where did you get those clams/hooks from? we have really light white sandy beaches where I fish. So I figure with a 5 gallon bucket buried in the ground and a strap set up like that would put me at ease. On the pier i just use a dog leash. I was fishing on the pier one night with a buddy of mine and we where shark fishing. When about a 200lb tarpon grabbed his 12/0 it took off so fast it back lashed the reel. that reel took off in the blink of a eye. if it wasn't for the dog leash it would have been gone.We where able to get it up to the pier and released it.

I've done the 5 gallon bucket thing fishing the very few black sand beaches we have here--worked great.

As for the clips, some of them are homemade, while others were purchased from a local fishing supply store:

http://www.tokunagastore.com/Menu/UluaFishingGear.htm

I believe they will ship to the mainland for a reasonable price.

Chad

Lowprofile

I've emailed that store a few times with no reply. I just use 45kg clips for my ULUA rod.

Lowprofile

Quote from: anglingarchitect on April 08, 2016, 02:19:39 PM
I want to make a rod holder that goes into my 2" receiver hitch on my Denalli that I drive on the beach in the panhandle. I only have 9/0's but they don't need to go for a drag through the sand and surf.

http://www.cpidesigns.com/rodracks/

cbar45

Lowprofile, try giving them a call to place your order. They are a bit old-school..;)

If you still can't get through and want some clips, I'd be able to pick them up for you next time I'm in town.

Lmk, Chad

NovaSS

The new rod is finished. Should be here by the end of the week. I had my daughter's name put on it. she is 2 1/2 and we were looking at shark fishing pics together. She told her mom that she is going to catch a big shark and eat it. I couldnt stop laughing.

conchydong

That's a pretty rod. Surprised that you use roller guides on the beach though. With all of that sand, it would seem a bit of high maintenance to me.
Catch 'em up!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

anglingarchitect

Very Nice bet you hang on to that until over waist deep.

NovaSS

ive never had a problem with roller guides. even with cheap rods and china rollers. I do take extra care of my gear as I buy stuff wanting it to last a life time. 

Tightlines667

Quote from: NovaSS on April 12, 2016, 09:18:32 PM
ive never had a problem with roller guides. even with cheap rods and china rollers. I do take extra care of my gear as I buy stuff wanting it to last a life time. 

That's good, because many people neglect to service the rollers.  They should he taken apart, cleaned and lubed periodically.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Lowprofile

Looks good. Let's see it with the reel on it!