rod for tiagra 130 shark fishing from the beach

Started by NovaSS, March 06, 2016, 04:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NovaSS

Im wondering what you guys recommend for tiagra 130 stand up rod for fishing from the beach.

Shark Hunter

Rainshadow 130 E glass.
Lots of backbone. Best bang for the buck.
JMO
Life is Good!

NovaSS

thanks, I ended up ordering a barrett custom. I emailed a few other places that build custom rods and still havent gotten a reply. So i went with 130 rod from barrett a lot of guys on texas shark fishing uses his rods. couldnt find to much recent info on barrett, texas shark fishing forum is almost dead not many people post on their anymore.

Shark Hunter

You will have to show us a picture when you get it.
Those Barrett rods are nice. You are probably talking a $600 build.
Life is Good!

NovaSS

It came to $740, the wife thought I was crazy for even wanting to spend that kind of cash on a rod. She says nothing I want is cheap. I told her its because im a guy. But I figure half of what the reel cost is about right. I told her its like a nice rifle your not going to buy a $2500 hunting rifle and put a $100 walmart scope on it. I let post pics when its done. It should be done in about 4 weeks.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Lowprofile

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 11, 2016, 02:05:37 PM
Yikes! That is why I don't have a Barrett. :o

Yep, that's why I build my rods. A few connections and a little bit of know how and you can have the same rod for about $300.

My 80lb rod I just built cost about $180 before epoxy and thread. The most expensive part was the roller tip.

NovaSS

As for a rod holder for the beach, what do you guys use? I would probably hang up fishing all together if my $2000 plus package got snatched into the gulf. I usually use pvc with my penn 9500, finnor 9500, 9/0, and 12/0. I still feel that if the drag ever locked up or back spooled it would snap that pvc. I lost one reel in my life and it was a penn 5500 on ugly stick just bought it and the first cast from pier I slung the bait out into the water. Sat the rod down turned around to grab my drink and as im turning around I see her flying threw the air. It was night or I would have jumped to catch it. But I was out on the boat last year and my friend decided to climb up on the concert deck under the bridge. He sat his rod down I told him hes going to loose that rod if anything takes it. Right after I said that it took off like bullet an was gone.

Lowprofile

Quote from: NovaSS on March 11, 2016, 04:29:55 PM
As for a rod holder for the beach, what do you guys use? I would probably hang up fishing all together if my $2000 plus package got snatched into the gulf. I usually use pvc with my penn 9500, finnor 9500, 9/0, and 12/0. I still feel that if the drag ever locked up or back spooled it would snap that pvc. I lost one reel in my life and it was a penn 5500 on ugly stick just bought it and the first cast from pier I slung the bait out into the water. Sat the rod down turned around to grab my drink and as im turning around I see her flying threw the air. It was night or I would have jumped to catch it. But I was out on the boat last year and my friend decided to climb up on the concert deck under the bridge. He sat his rod down I told him hes going to loose that rod if anything takes it. Right after I said that it took off like bullet an was gone.

I use 4ft of 2" pic. Burry it half way and pack the sand as you fill it in. It'll hold

Shark Hunter

I also use schedule 2 PVC. Cut a 10' section in two and angle the ends. Then pound in the sand with a rubber mallet.
I've fished with guys that use metal spikes with a rod holder welded to it. They are much more rigid, but sometimes you can't get them back out.
Life is Good!

fishhawk

If you have to carry a lot of rod holders I build them like this (see pic). Takes up much less room! I also have a safety strap that I attach to reel.....just in case!

Southernsharker

We use 5 foot sections of pvc buried 3 foot down. And on my Bros t
130 we use a 5 foot piece of galvanized pipe buried 3 foot down.  Either way the same and cost nothing  just go to home depot and buy a 10 or 12 ft section of pvc or pipe for 10 bucks and cut it in half of thirds but bury it deep

Cone

If your worried about losing your rod put a leash on it. I've seen people use the spiral anchors for building tie downs or bury a bucket with the leash attached. If the pvc snaps the leash should keep it from going for a swim.
   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

fishhawk

I would like to see some idea's on a cheap quick release leash.
Mark

cbar45

Quote from: fishhawk on April 02, 2016, 01:20:03 AM
I would like to see some idea's on a cheap quick release leash.
Mark

We use these simple stainless clips that attach to the harness lugs on your reel--squeeze on and squeeze off.

Two years ago this setup saved my friend's gear when a powerful ulua/shark strike completely uplifted the rod-holder cemented into lava rock, pulling both rod and reel over the cliff.

The top half of his rod snapped in the process, but the Senator reel came through with only a couple deep scratches and a bent handle.

-chad